Skip to main content

Non-Voting Student Representative UHD SGA logo

Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board

Section 61.0225 of the Texas Education Code authorizes the Governor to appoint a non-voting student representative​​​ to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) for a term not to exceed one year beginning this year on June 1, 2022 and ending on May 31, 2023. The student representative shall enjoy the same rights as a regularly appointed board member, except the right to vote or be counted towards a quorum for official board business. The student representative serves without compensation.


For initial consideration, nominees must meet the following minimum criteria:
  • Be enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student in a public institution of higher education;
  • Be in good academic standing as determined by the institution;
  • Commit to fulfill all board related responsibilities during their term of service, to include attendance at no less than 3 of the 4 quarterly board meetings, and 3 of the 4 board committee meetings as scheduled; and
  • Have a strong drive and self-motivation to contribute to the progress of higher education in Texas.

To aid the Governor in his selection, the President of each University will recommend students based on applications provided by the Student Government Association (SGA).

Applications should be received by the Student Government Association in N210 or​ by Monday, November 29, 2021 for full consideration. The SGA will make recommendations to the Dean of Students. The Dean of Students will make recommendations to the President, who will nominate to the Governor. The application (due Monday, November 29, 2021) must follow the Governor's Appointments Division requirements, including the following documents:


If appointed, the student representative must continue to meet the following criteria for the length of their term:
  • Maintain a GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale;
  • Maintain enrollment at a public institution of higher education for duration of term; and
  • Maintain a state-wide perspective on higher education (as opposed to representing any single college or university).

For more information contact the Student Government Association at or the Division of Student Affairs at 713-221-8100.

Last updated 2/8/2022 6:41 AM