THEA (IBT) Schedule
THEA (IBT) Schedule
One Main Street, Room GSB 311,
Girard Street Building (Welcome Center)
Houston, TX 77002
Reporting Times: Various options available; see below
UHD Registration Process:
All steps must be completed in person at least two business days prior to test date
- Present one form of acceptable photographic identification to Testing Services (3rd
Floor, Girard Street Building, Room GSB 311), for registration.
a. For registration an acceptable forms of photographic identification include a non-damaged/non-expired driver’s license, passport, student ID, military ID, or Department of Public Safety ID.
b. See the reverse side of this flyer for the types of identification required on test day.
- There is a non-refundable/non-transferable registration fee of $11.00 (for UH-System students) or $21.00 (for Non-UH System students).
- Testing Services will issue a payment slip for the registration fee. The student is
responsible to pay the amount before a test day admission ticket can be issued.
a. UHD has a designated payment center on the third floor, the Cashier’s Office (S310).
b. Payments accepted: cash, money order, VISA, MasterCard or, Discover Card.
- After payment has been made with the Cashier’s Office, report back to Testing Services for a test day admission ticket and important test day information.
THEA IBT Registration Process:
- Set-up an account with THEA at http://thea.starttest.com. Remember the user name and password, you will not be able to test without this information.
- Pay the $29.00 THEA IBT exam fee.
Note: You may complete the registration processes in any order. You must complete the UHD registration process at least two days before the test date. To schedule a walk-in registration see Emergency Scheduling of the THEA IBT below.
What to Bring on the Test Day?
- The UHD THEA IBT Admission Ticket
- Two forms of acceptable identification (see types of identification required on test day, on the reverse side)
- Also bring your e-mail and password that is associated with your THEA IBT account. You will not be able to test without this information.
- Bring the printed THEA IBT confirmation email as proof of payment.
Emergency Scheduling of the THEA IBT
If the date is not available or the date is booked to capacity, check with Testing Services to see if an emergency walk-in schedule is available. Any scheduling outside our availability, closed test dates or max capacity is considered an emergency testing request. There is a fee of $30 in addition to the UHD THEA IBT registration fee.
- UH-Systems students will need to pay the $30.00 (Emergency Fee) + $11 (THEA IBT Registration Fee) totaling $41.00*
- Non-UH Systems students will need to pay the $30.00 (Emergency Fee) + $21 (THEA IBT Registration Fee) totaling $51.00*
*All fees are NON-REFUNDABLE and NON-TRANSFERABLE
Types of Identification Required on Test Day
Two pieces of identification are required. One or both bearing a photograph (government issued or school ID), or one bearing a photograph and the other a non-photo ID. Examples of acceptable forms of photo and non-photo identification are provided below. For a complete list of THEA IBT forms of identification please check out the THEA web site at www.thea.nesinc.com/TA_IBTwhattobring.asp. All forms of identification must be originals. Photocopies will not be accepted.
One or both IDs may come from column #1. If only one from column #1 can be provided, then the 2nd ID must come from column #2. You will not be allowed to test if you cannot provide at least one from each column or 2 from the 1st column.
- Valid driver’s license
- Valid passport
- Student identification card
- Military identification card
- Current alien registration card
- Department of Public Safety card
- Matricula Consular ID
- Social security card
- Pay stub
- Insurance card
- Valid credit card
- Description of examinee on high school or college
- Stationary signed by an official of that institution.
What does the THEA IBT Consist of?
THEA IBT exam consist of the following:
- Reading: Consists of approximately 40 multiple-choice questions matched to about seven reading selections of 300 to 750 words each.
- Writing: Contains two subsections: a writing sample subsection requiring students to demonstrate their ability to communicate effectively in writing on a given topic and a multiple-choice subsection including approximately 40 questions assessing students' ability to recognize various elements of effective writing.
- Mathematics: Consists of approximately 50 multiple-choice questions covering four general areas: fundamental mathematics, algebra, geometry, and problem solving. There is an on-screen calculator available for the Mathematics section only.
- For consistency, test scores are reported using the same scale, in a range from 100 to 300. The minimum score needed to pass the Reading and Mathematics sections is 230. For the Writing Section, the minimum passing score is 220.
- The test sessions are not individually timed. Examinee has the total of four-hours for testing. You may use the four-hours to work on any or all of the three sections of the test. If you are retaking only one or two sections, you will have the four-hour test session to complete the sections. The test includes a countdown clock that will allow you to track your remaining time. You may leave when you have finished testing.
How do I get my THEA IBT results?
- If you finish before test session ends, you are not required to stay for the full four-hours. After completing the test or when the test session ends, you will be prompted to submit your answers for scoring. Your score report will be available in less than ten-minutes. If you have taken the writing sample, it may take ten-minutes or more.
- You may access your score report online at http://thea.starttest.com and using your THEA IBT user name and password.
The THEA IBT retest policy is 14 days.
Students can begin retesting on the 15th day.
Reference and Study Material:
For a comprehensive list of reference materials, study guides, and detailed information, please visit the THEA Web site at www.thea.nesinc.com.