Skip to main content

Release of Student Records

UHD has a policy in conformity with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) covering the release of student records. Student rights include the following:

  • Students have the right to inspect and review their education records within 45 days of the day the university receives the request.
  • Students have the right to request amendment of their education records that they believe are inaccurate or misleading.
  • Students have the right to consent to the disclosure of personally identifiable information in their education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
  • Students have the right to file a complaint with the US Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the university to comply with the requirements of FERPA.​

Direc​​​tory Information

At its discretion the University of Houston-Downtown may provide directory information to the general public without student consent. Directory information is defined by University of Houston-Downtown (within the guidelines of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974) as follows:

  • Student’s name
  • Mailing address
  • Primary Telephone number
  • University assigned e-mail address
  • Classification
  • Enrollment status
  • Major and minor fields of study
  • Degrees, certificates, awards and honors received
  • Dates of attendance
  • Graduation date
  • Expected graduation date
  • Most recent previous education institution attended
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Weight and height of members of athletic teams
Students may request that directory information be withheld from the public by contacting the Registrar’s Office at any time during the semester. Such requests must be made in writing and will remain in place until the student directs the office in writing that it is to be removed.

Confidentiality Request and Revoke Confidentiality Request Form

Third Party Release of Student Information & Records
You may authorize persons other than yourself to access information if you voluntarily elect to do so. Depending on your individual status, your parents/other individuals may not have immediate access to your records without your written permission. In order to grant individuals other than yourself access to your student record information, you can complete the Authorization to Release Student Information Form. Please complete this forma and submit to the Registrar’s Office. You may need a copy of this form to present to other offices within UHD that you may authorize individuals to access information from (such as: Academic Advising, academic departments, financial aid, student accounting, etc).

For additional details on your rights under FERPA, see the UHD Catalog and the links provided below.

Other related links:​​​

Last updated 2/18/2020 10:12 AM