Summer 2021 Faculty Interim Grading Option Instructions
S/U Implementation Steps: As the end of the semester arrives, we want to be sure faculty have needed information to address the S/U option for their own work and in response to students. Below is a brief summary of key steps for you to consider. We have also developed an FAQ for faculty:
- Faculty will complete all class grading according to the system described in the class syllabus. When initially determining grades, please do not consider the S/U system.
- Faculty will post all final course letter grades in their class Blackboard shell gradebooks
no later than at 12 noon by the date specified in the calendars and notify students that they are available to look at.
- Students will look at grades by the date specified in the calendars at 12 noon and they will notify their instructors in writing (email or BB options established by the instructor) that they want to choose the S/U option.
- Faculty will keep track of student requests for the S/U option—students must request this explicitly in written form (e.g., email or via BB options established by faculty). NOTE: students do not need to notify faculty if they want to keep their letter grade and not avail themselves of the S/U option.
- Faculty will enter grades as normal for the Registrar via the myUHD grade roster by the closing date of the grading period for each session in Summer 2021. Please refer to the Academic Calendar for Timeline and Requirements for Grading.
- Faculty will have be able to enter letter grades and S/U options. Faculty should use the S/U only for students who have requested it and the S/U must be based on the following:
Undergraduate courses, the S/U grading will be applied in this manner:
- S: Satisfactory = C or above, no effect on GPA, hours count toward graduation.
- U: Unsatisfactory = D or F, no effect on GPA, hours do not count toward graduation. Some degree programs may count a D as acceptable for the purpose of degree completion or graduation - students should consult with advisors to determine this before making a decision.
For Graduate courses, the S/U grading will be applied in this manner:
- S: Satisfactory = B or above, no effect on GPA, hours count toward graduation
- U: Unsatisfactory = C, D, or F, no effect on GPA, hours do not count toward graduation. Grades of "U" cannot by themselves be used as a basis to dismiss