Spring 2021 Faculty Interim Grading Option Instructions
S/U Implementation Steps: As the end of the semester arrives, we want to be sure faculty have needed information to address the S/U option for their own work and in response to students. Below is a brief summary of key steps for you to consider. We have also developed an FAQ for faculty:
- Faculty will complete all class grading according to the system described in the class syllabus. When initially determining grades, please do not consider the S/U system.
- Faculty will post all final course letter grades in their class Blackboard shell gradebooks
no later than at 5:00 p.m. by the date specified in the calendars and notify students that they are available to look at.
- Students will look at grades by the date specified in the calendars at 5:00 p.m. and they will notify their instructors in writing (email or BB options established by the instructor) that they want to choose the S/U option.
- Faculty will keep track of student requests for the S/U option—students must request this explicitly in written form (e.g., email or via BB options established by faculty). NOTE: students do not need to notify faculty if they want to keep their letter grade and not avail themselves of the S/U option.
- Faculty will enter grades as normal for the Registrar via the myUHD grade roster by the closing date of the grading period for each session in spring 2021.
- Faculty will have be able to enter letter grades and S/U options. Faculty should use the S/U only for students who have requested it and the S/U must be based on the following:
Undergraduate courses, the S/U grading will be applied in this manner:
- S: Satisfactory = C or above, no effect on GPA, hours count toward graduation.
- U: Unsatisfactory = D or F, no effect on GPA, hours do not count toward graduation. Some degree programs may count a D as acceptable for the purpose of degree completion or graduation - students should consult with advisors to determine this before making a decision.
For Graduate courses, the S/U grading will be applied in this manner:
- S: Satisfactory = B or above, no effect on GPA, hours count toward graduation
- U: Unsatisfactory = C, D, or F, no effect on GPA, hours do not count toward graduation. Grades of "U" cannot by themselves be used as a basis to dismiss