Trash & Dash
It's a new year! Join the Office of the Provost & Facilities Management in a 'Trash & Dash.'
Lucy Bowen will contact you with the days and time dumpsters will be available to your office. Stay tuned for more information.
UPDATES & RESOURCES
UHD is proud to announce its membership in the AAHHE.
The University of Houston-Downtown yearly membership includes:
- Unlimited job postings for faculty, executive and administrative positions
- Listed on the AAHHE website
- Access to Graduate and Faculty Fellows' contact information
- Priority on annual Conference Concurrent Session proposals submission selections
- Priority on the selection of Graduate and Faculty Fellows, conference attendance
- Access to the annual AAHHE Scholarly Paper publications
AAHHE Mission Statement:
The American Association of Hispanics in Higher Education (AAHHE) is an agent of change for improving education, thus enabling Hispanic students to fully participate in a diverse society. AAHHE works collaboratively with all sectors of education, business, industry, as well as community and professional organizations to enhance the educational aspirations and to meet the needs of a significantly increasing Hispanic population.
To learn more about this organization please visit its website, Home (aahhe.org)
Keep On Teaching & Learning
Resources and information to aid you in an online environment.
Syllabus Language & Template
The Office of the Provost and the Online Education Taskforce have created suggested syllabus language and a syllabus template to support faculty in engaging students and carrying out class planning for the Spring 2021 semester.
Class Syllabus Language for Spring 2021
This document contains five sections: Required content for all syllabi, optional syllabus language, information for class management, access protocols for UHNW and LSC Kingwood, and faculty resources for course development and online best practices. Please review carefully and implement the required elements.
UHD Common Syllabus Language for All Classes in Spring 2021
- This information is considered part of the syllabus for all classes in Spring 2021 and is referenced in the above class syllabus language document. It exists in addition to all other requirements in the syllabi faculty provide to their students and to all other university, system, state, and federal policies and requirements. Substantive changes to this set of policies will be communicated to students via Gatormail.
Online Education Taskforce Suggested Syllabus Template
- This template was created by the Online Education Taskforce to assist faculty in creating comprehensive syllabi for their courses. The template provides detailed instruction for each section of the syllabus.
UPDATES FROM ASA OFFICES
Wells Fargo Scholarship
- Mona Farley, a student in the CCSEL’s Community Scholars Program was selected for a $5,000 scholarship from Wells Fargo. The scholarship was given to students who have been affected by the pandemic, and have contributed in meaningful ways to their communities. There were over 19,000 applications.
Service Learning Badge
- CCESL designed a badge for Service Learning, and it has been approved by the University Curriculum Committee. In order to qualify, a student must take a minimum of two SL-designated courses with A or B grades, maintain a 2.5 overall GPA, and obtain a satisfactory score on a written or oral presentation on his/her SL experiences. The presentations are judged by a faculty committee. The badges will be awarded starting in spring 2021.
GatorServe MLK Day of Service
- This event will be held on Saturday, January 16, 2021, at Yes Prep, Sunnyside Campus. Student, faculty, staff, alumni, and community members will work together on a variety of projects at the school. The number of volunteers will be limited and safe practices will be maintained.
W.I. Dykes Library
- Don't forget that even over the holiday break, librarians will be available to answer your questions via the
- Electronic resources are always available through the
library home page.
- Elsevier ScienceDirect immediate access to current issues of journals will become unavailable as of January 1, 2021. Back files are still available. You may request copies of articles via
- The Library is part of a state-wide university coalition that is in negotiation with Elsevier to achieve improved and affordable access, and the campus community will be notified of the outcome negotiations.
The Office of Assessment and Accreditation administered the Revealing Institutional Strengths and Challenges (RISC) survey, UHD's first comprehensive survey of student satisfaction. The survey was open October 26 - November 11 with 21% of UHD's current students responding. UHD's institutional report will be available in late January 2021 and will allow UHD to benchmark our student's satisfaction levels against a national cohort.
Graduate students are now in EAB Navigate!
Curriculog is closing December 17th through January 19th in preparation for incorporating the new interface. During this time, no new proposals can be created.
POLICY AND PERSONNEL UPDATES
- Named the University of Houston-Downtown's new Vice President of Enrollment Management. He will officially assume this role on February 1, 2021. In this role, Villanueva will oversee the offices of Admissions, the Registrar, Scholarships & Financial Aid, Transition Programs, Student Communications, and Testing Services.
SAM 01.C.07 (Safety Administration) have been approved.
- Establishes a policy designed to promote create, and maintain a safe, secure, caring, and compassionate university environment.
Purpose of Policy Revisions
- Added section 2.12 to address children in the workplace in order to promote safe work environment and to ensure that normal operations of the universities and teaching centers run smoothly.