Mayor's Summer Internship Program
With the support of the Office of the University of Houston-Downtown President, UHD students will work with Mayor Sylvester Turner and his staff on initiatives that influence the City of Houston and nearby communities. This program is designed to provide University of Houston-Downtown students with valuable experience in learning and serving in various capacities in local city government. Students will be allowed to explore career possibilities in local government, gain expertise in helping community initiatives, develop marketable skills, and develop professional networks. Interns will have opportunities to work in one of six key areas:
- Mayor's Office of Education
- Mayor's Office of Complete Communities
- Mayors Office of Persons with Disabilities
- Mayor's Office of Economic Development
- Houston Municipal Television (HTV)
- Mayor's Office of Government Affairs
Some additional responsibilities interns will be expected to participate in include the following:
- Research and prepare support materials for diplomatic and international business development initiatives
- Staff meetings between the Mayor or other local officials and visiting delegations and dignitaries
- Contribute to office administration, protocol services, social media, community outreach, and international trade
- Network and interact with a variety of international community leaders
- Sit in on council session
- Present on their internship experience at an internship summit at the end of the internship
Interns are expected to work 32 hours per week for eight weeks from June 12, 2023 – August 3, 2023. Students will be given a stipend of $3,5000 for their participation in this summer internship.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled at the University of Houston-Downtown for the spring 2023 semester as well as registered for the fall 2023 semester.
- Apply online
- Commitment to 32 hours a week during the summer dates indicated above.
- Attend orientation on professionalism before internship placement and training with the City of Houston
- Must attend a processing/onboarding event presented by the City of Houston on either Tuesday, May 10 or Thursday, May 11, 2023.
- Must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the US.
Ideal candidates possess
- Outstanding academic achievement
- Strong writing ability
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated dedication to public service through volunteerism in school and community activities
The internship selection process has two parts: First, a UHD selection committee will evaluate an initial pool of candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and conduct a brief interview to determine finalists. Second, the finalists will be referred to the appropriate city agency according to the candidate's area of interest as listed on the application. Should you be selected for the internship, you will be required to undergo a criminal background check with the city.
Please send any questions you may have about this to Mayoralinterns@uhd.edu