At this time, only the current University of Houston-Downtown students, faculty, staff, and alumni may visit the W.I. Dykes Library to borrow materials. Students, faculty, and staff from other University of Houston System campuses may borrow materials under the same borrowing privileges as their UHD counterpart by way of intercampus delivery. Other borrowers affiliated with UHD can borrow library materials on a limited basis. For more information, please see the
Library COVID-19 webpage. To view items that you checked out or want to renew, please see the
My Library Account webpage.
Questions about the catalog? Check our
To borrow library materials, students, graduate students, faculty, and staff must do the following:
- Be enrolled/employed in current term
- Present a valid university identification card as a library card.*
- Keep library account in good standing (fines/charges less than $10.00).
*Borrowers may retrieve their university IDs from the Department of Sports & Fitness on the Student Life Center's third floor.
Borrowers are responsible for understanding library borrowing and lending policies. Disregard of the library's policies could result in fines, charges, or fees assessed to your library account, suspension of library privileges, or withholding transcripts or diplomas.
- Do not let others use your your university ID card. Library borrowing privileges are non-transferable. You are responsible for all items checked out to your account.
- Keep your information up to date. The library sends notices to your email address on file (not necessarily your Gatormail or UHD email address). You are responsible for returning items on time regardless of whether or not you received a notice.
- Handle library material carefully. You must return your items in the same condition as when checked out. Do not write or highlight in books, turn pages down, use paper with adhesive to flag pages of a book, or remove pages. You are financially responsible for damage to any borrowed items. However, if you notice damage before checking any items out, please bring it to the attention of library staff. Library staff will note the damage in the item's record, and will not hold you responsible for the damage upon return.
- Notify library staff immediately if your university ID card is lost or stolen. They will hold you responsible for any items checked out to your account before you report its loss.
Borrowers may request items be pulled from the library's shelves and held for them at the fifth floor circulation desk by using the online catalog. An online request can also be placed to have an item transferred to any UH System library. Items ineligible for online request include course reserves, special collections, and anything else that is library use only. To renew online, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to the library homepage at
- Choose the gray
- Press the blue
Search the Library Catalog link.
- Type your search terms into the
Search anything box.
- Click on the green magnifying glass to search.
- Choose the desired title link to access its record.
- Press the blue
Sign in link in the yellow field.
- Pick the
University of Houston- Downtown link underneath the
Login using: heading.
- Login with your
Network Account and
- Click on the blue
- Select the desired option in the
Pickup Location drop box.
- Press the green
SEND REQUEST link.
- Confirm that your request was successfully placed.
You will receive an email when the item is ready for pick-up. Library staff will not process requests placed after 3:00 PM until the following day. Items requested from other campuses will generally arrive in 3-5 business days. Library staff will return items not picked up after one week from the hold shelf to its home library.
Return items on or before the due date to avoid fines and/or charges and fees.
Borrowers may return items at the following places:
- The Circulation Desk located on the fifth floor of the One Main Building
- The book drop on the east wall next to the fifth floor north elevators
- The book drop on the first floor of the One Main Building inside the Police Department entrance.
- Libraries at the University of Houston or the University of Houston-Clear Lake
*Borrowers must return media items to the fifth floor Circulation Desk.