Current University of Houston-Downtown (UHD) students, faculty, and staff can borrow library materials from UHD's W.I. Dykes Library and other University of Houston System (UHS) campus libraries. Students, faculty, and staff from other UHS campuses can borrow library materials under the same borrowing privileges as their UHD counterpart. UHD alumni, visitors, and affiliates can borrow library materials on a limited basis.
Questions about the catalog? Check our Catalog FAQ.
To borrow library materials:
Students, graduate students, faculty, and staff:
- Must be enrolled/employed in current term
- Must present a valid university ID
- Library account must be in good standing (fines/charges less than $10.00)
*UHD IDs are issued by Sports & Fitness on the 3rd floor of the Student Life Center
Borrowers are responsible for understanding library borrowing and lending policies. Disregard of the library's policies could result in fines and/or charges and fees being assessed to your library account, suspension of library privileges, and/or the withholding of transcripts and/or diplomas.
- Do not let others use your library card (your university ID). Library borrowing privileges are non-transferable. The borrower is responsible for all items checked out to their account.
- Keep your information up to date. Library notices are sent to the email address on file (not necessarily your gatormail or UHD email address). You are responsible for returning items on time regardless of whether or not you received a notice.
- Handle library material carefully. Items must be returned in the same condition as when checked out. Do not write or highlight in books, turn pages down, use paper with adhesive to flag pages of a book, or remove pages. Borrowers are financially responsible for damage that occurs to the item while it is checked out to them. If you notice damage before checking the item out, please bring it to the attention of library staff. The damage will be noted in the item's record, and you will not be held responsible for the damage upon return.
- Notify library staff immediately if your library card (university ID) is lost or stolen. You will be held responsible for any items checked out to your account before the loss of ID is reported.
students, faculty, and staff can place an online request to have an item pulled
from the library’s shelves and held for them at the fifth-floor circulation
desk. An online request can also be placed to have an item transferred to
any UH System Library. Items that cannot be requested include course
reserves, special collections, and anything else that is library use
To request items:
- Go to the library homepage at www.uhd.edu/library.
- Choose the gray CATALOG option.
- Press the blue Search the Library Catalog link.
- Type your search terms into the Search anything box.
- Click on the magnifying glass to search.
- Choose the desired title link to access its record.
- Press the blue Sign in link in the yellow field.
- Pick the University of Houston- Downtown link underneath the Login using: heading.
- Login with your Network Account and Password.
- Click on the blue Request link.
- Select the desired option in the Pickup Location drop box.
- Press the green SEND REQUEST link.
- Confirm that your request was successfully placed.
You will receive an email when the item is ready to be picked up. A request placed after 3:00 pm will not be processed until the following day. Items requested from other campuses generally arrive in 3-5 business days. Items not picked up within 1 week will be returned to its home library.
Return items on or before the due date to avoid fines and/or charges and fees.
Books can be returned at:
- The Circulation Desk located on the 5th floor of the One Main Building
- The book drop on the east wall next to the 5th floor north elevators
- Libraries at the University of Houston or the University of Houston-Clear Lake
Media items must be returned to the Circulation Desk of the library where the items were checked out.