Current University of Houston-Downtown (UHD) students, faculty, and staff can borrow library materials from UHD's W.I. Dykes Library and other University of Houston System (UHS) campus libraries. Students, faculty, and staff from other UHS campuses can borrow library materials under the same borrowing privileges as their UHD counterpart. UHD alumni, visitors, and affiliates can borrow library materials on a limited basis.
Questions about the catalog? Check our Catalog FAQ.
To borrow library materials:
Students, graduate students, faculty, and staff:
- Must be enrolled/employed in current term
- Must present a valid university ID
- Library account must be in good standing (fines/charges less than $10.00)
English language institute (ELI) students:
- Must be enrolled in the current ELI session
- Must present an ELI ID
*UHD IDs are issued by Sports & Fitness on the 3rd floor of the Student Life Center
Borrowers are responsible for understanding library borrowing and lending policies. Disregard of the library's policies could result in fines and/or charges and fees being assessed to your library account, suspension of library privileges, and/or the withholding of transcripts and/or diplomas.
- Do not let others use your library card (your university ID). Library borrowing privileges are non-transferable. The borrower is responsible for all items checked out to their account.
- Keep your information up to date. Library notices are sent to the email address on file (not necessarily your gatormail or UHD email address). You are responsible for returning items on time regardless of whether or not you received a notice.
- Handle library material carefully. Items must be returned in the same condition as when checked out. Do not write or highlight in books, turn pages down, use paper with adhesive to flag pages of a book, or remove pages. Borrowers are financially responsible for damage that occurs to the item while it is checked out to them. If you notice damage before checking the item out, please bring it to the attention of library staff. The damage will be noted in the item's record, and you will not be held responsible for the damage upon return.
- Notify library staff immediately if your library card (university ID) is lost or stolen. You will be held responsible for any items checked out to your account before the loss of ID is reported.
UHD students, faculty, and staff can place an online request to have an item pulled from our shelves and held for you at the Circulation Desk. An online request can also be placed to have an item delivered to the UHD library or UHD Northwest Campus from another UH system library (UH and UH Clear Lake). Items that cannot be requested include course reserves and some items belonging to special collections.
To request items:
- Locate the items in the library's catalog
- Click on the
Request function at the top of the page
- Log in to
My Library Account with your name and library barcode (your 900#)
- Select desired pick-up location from drop-down menu (your home campus will be the default pick-up location)
You will receive an email when the item is ready to be picked up. A request placed after 3:00 pm will not be processed until the following day. Items requested from other campuses generally arrive in 3-5 business days. Items not picked up within 1 week will be returned its home library.
Return items on or before the due date to avoid fines and/or charges and fees.
Books can be returned at:
- The Circulation Desk located on the 5th floor of the One Main Building
- The book drop on the east wall next to the 5th floor north elevators
- Libraries at the University of Houston or the University of Houston-Clear Lake
Media items must be returned to the Circulation Desk of the library where the items were checked out.