PS-02.A.26 - Staff Service Awards
Effective Date: May 26, 2023
Issue #: 5
President: Dr. Loren J. Blanchard
This Policy Statement establishes guidelines and the selection process for staff service awards at the University of Houston-Downtown (UHD). This Policy Statement complies with UH System Administrative Memorandum (SAM) 02.E.07, Staff Service Awards.
2.1 Company seniority date: Represents the years of service at the University of Houston-Downtown. This date is adjusted for breaks in service.
3.1 Staff service awards recognize, honor, and reward staff members for continuous dedication and meritorious service to the University. There are three types of service awards: awards for service longevity, the President's Staff Excellence Award, and Impact Awards.
3.2 Service awards for longevity are non-monetary awards given for five (5) or more years of service at UHD, adjusted for breaks in service, in increments of five (5) years.
3.3 The President's Staff Excellence Award
3.3.1 The President's Staff Excellence Award recognizes staff members for individual excellence achieved in their role with the University. The President's Staff Excellence Award is the highest honor the University can bestow on a staff employee. It is designed to recognize and honor one staff member every year that has served the University in an exemplary manner. The nominees for this award must demonstrate the following qualities and meet the following criteria:
a. Consistently make a positive impact through contribution and commitment to the University's core purpose and values;
b. Have performed at a level above and beyond normal job requirements;
c. Have a significant impact on the university through outstanding dedication, competence, excellent customer service, and ingenuity/innovation;
d. Have demonstrated an exceptional ability to foster collaboration, communication, and cooperation among colleagues and university constituents;
e. Dependability, responsibility, and stability;
f. Have at least three consecutive years of service with UHD in a full-time, benefits-eligible position;
g. May not have any formal disciplinary action within 12 months prior to the nomination date; and
h. Have not won the President's Staff Excellence Award in the last three academic/award years.
3.3.2 The President's Executive Board, Associate/Assistant Vice Presidents, Deans, and the Staff Council President are not eligible for any awards.
3.3.3 Nominations for the President's Staff Excellence Award will be accepted by any UHD employee. Self-nominations, however, are not permitted. A complete nomination package for the President's Staff Excellence Award consists of a President's Staff Excellence Award nomination form and statements from two different UHD employees supporting the nominee. The President's Staff Excellence Award nomination package must be submitted to the Awards Review Board designee by the published deadline for a nominee to be considered for the President's Staff Excellence Award. The Awards Review Board designee and the deadline for completed nomination packages will be widely publicized to UHD employees via email with ample time for nomination packages to be prepared and submitted.
3.4 Impact Awards
3.4.1 Impact Awards are given to UHD staff members to recognize individuals for achievement in the five (5) following categories:
1. Student Success Award: Nominees contribute to the personal, professional, or academic development of a student or group of students above and beyond the expectation of their position. Nominees foster a student-centered atmosphere and contribute to the retention of a student or students above and beyond the expectations of their position.
2. Leadership Award: Nominees for the Leadership Award must demonstrate excellence in leadership and serve as a positive role model. The Leadership Award is presented to a staff member who leads others, inspires and motivates, and displays leadership qualities, including exceptional communication, problem-solving, integrity, and a desire to help others succeed. Nominees demonstrate commitment to and support of University values, including excellence, student success, inclusiveness, respect, and integrity.
3. Rookie of the Year Award: Nominees for this award should have a remarkable ability to adjust to a new work environment while demonstrating outstanding enthusiasm and a high level of energy. Only employees who have not yet completed one year of service to UHD by the nomination package deadline are eligible to be nominated for the Rookie of the Year award.
4. Goes the Extra Mile Award: Nominees for this award consistently go above and beyond what is required and expected in performing their job duties and responsibilities. Nominees have made a major impact on an important University event, function, or service, and/or continuously display outstanding work performance above and beyond what is normally expected.
5. Teamwork Award: Staff members who facilitated or led a cohesive team to achieve an important shared goal should be considered for the Teamwork Award. Nominees collaborate with colleagues outside of their immediate department to meet the needs of the UHD community. Nominees produce results that increase productivity and efficiency, boost morale, improve customer service, support retention, and/or result in other notable accomplishments in alignment with UHD's strategic goals. Nominees provide outstanding and ongoing excellence in service to faculty, staff, students, the UHD community, and/or other customers. Teams may not exceed ten members.
3.4.2 If a staff member is selected for an Impact Award they will not be eligible to win the same Impact Award for the next three academic/award years. However, they will remain eligible for other Impact Awards.
3.4.3 Impact Award nominations will be accepted from any UHD employee. Self-nominations, however, are not permitted. A complete Impact Award nomination package consists of a nomination form. The Impact Award nomination package must be submitted to the Awards Review Board designee by the published deadline for a nominee to be considered for an Impact Award. The Awards Review Board designee and the deadline for completed nomination packages will be widely publicized to UHD employees via email with ample time for nomination packages to be prepared and submitted.
3.5 The UHD Staff Council President is authorized to create an Awards Review Board for the selection of recipients of all staff awards.
3.5.1 The membership of the Awards Review Board will be comprised of one (1) representative from each University Division, one (1) member of the Staff Council Executive Board, one (1) former recipient of a monetary staff award, and one (1) member of HR. Each of these requirements must be fulfilled by a different individual. For example, a former recipient of a monetary staff award may not be counted as two seats on the Awards Review Board if they are also a member of the Staff Council Executive Board. Every effort must be made to ensure that the Awards Review Board accurately reflects the UHD employee community. The HR representative will be a non-voting participant meant to serve as an advisor in the case of policy-related questions.
3.5.2 The Awards Review Board members will vote on the winners of the Impact Awards using mutually agreed upon criteria that is based directly upon the text of each Impact Award.
3.5.3 The Awards Review Board members will recommend potential nominees for the President's Staff Excellence Award to the President. The Awards Review Board members will select nominees to submit to the President using mutually agreed upon criteria that is based directly upon the text of the President's Staff Excellence Award. The President will select the winner of the President's Staff Excellence Award.
3.5.4 The Staff Council President will present all completed nomination packages that were received by the published deadline to the Awards Review Board.
3.5.5 Names and other information that could be used to identify an award nominee must be redacted from nomination packages prior to being presented to the Awards Review Board. This redaction must be coordinated by the Staff Council President. The party(ies) responsible for redacting nomination packages is(are) not eligible for nomination to the Awards Review Board, may not be nominated for an Impact Award or the President's Staff Excellence Award, and every effort must be made to keep award nominees' identities confidential after the redaction.
3.5.6 A staff member cannot win multiple awards in the same year, not including Service Longevity Awards. In the case that a staff member has been selected by the Awards Review Board to receive more than one Award, the Awards Review Board, at their discretion, must mutually agree upon how to proceed. For example: a staff member may receive a 10-year Service Longevity Award and the Goes the Extra Mile Award in the same academic/award year. A staff member may not receive the Goes the Extra Mile Award and the Student Success Award in the same academic/award year. A staff member may receive a 10-year Service Longevity Award and either the Goes the Extra Mile Award or the Student Success Award in the same academic/award year. In the final two examples, the Awards Review Board must mutually agree upon how to decide which Impact Award the nominee receives.
3.6 All staff service awards are presented annually at the Staff Awards Program.
3.7 Awards that may be purchased with state appropriated funds include the following: service award pins and certificates for longevity of service, safety award pins and certificates for safe operation of state equipment, and awards for special professional achievement or other outstanding service. The cost shall not exceed $100.00 per employee.
3.8 Awards in an amount greater than $100.00 must be paid from local funds.
3.9 All monetary awards associated with staff awards, if applicable, are considered additional taxable income on the employee's payroll record and applicable taxes are withheld.
3.10 The Vice President for Administration and Finance sets monetary amounts for awards in consultation with the President of the University.
There are no procedures associated with this policy.
5. Review Process
Responsible Party (Reviewer): Vice President for Human Resources
Review: Every three years on or before June 1st.
Signed original on file in Human Resources
6. Policy History
Issue #1: 03/11/04
Issue #2: 03/09/15
Issue #3: 08/20/18
Issue #4: 04/10/20