Interim Director, Admissions and Recruitment
Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2186
Title: Interim Director, Admissions and Recruitment
Department: Undergraduate Admissions
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Enrollment Management
Job Sub-Family: Admissions
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 20
Grade Min: $105,177
Grade Mid: $128,842
UHD Succession Plan: Y
Criticality of Position: Significant
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director of Admissions and Recruitment provides leadership, direction, and management oversight. Further, the Director provides consultation and advice to administration and the colleges related to prospective undergraduate student recruitment and enrollment. The Director provides expertise to the creation, management and implementation of student recruitment strategies. In addition, the Director provides research and analysis to support institutional policy initiatives related to undergraduate student recruitment. The Director advises, collaborates, and consults with Senior leadership to establish directives, plans and strategic enrollment goals. The Director develops and directs fiscal and resource strategies, plans and policies.
- Oversees the admissions operations and recruitment; oversees the admission process including the recruitment, evaluation, selection and matriculation of new undergraduate students. Analyzes inquiry and application trends to identify potential opportunities for advancement or efficiency; monitors admissions activities and processes through analysis from key performance indicators
- Designs and implement recruitment strategies to meet first-year and transfer student enrollment goals
- Serves as the institutional lead in the development of recruitment and new student communications plan from initial inquiry to matriculation. In consultation with the appropriate constituents, creates a comprehensive recruitment plan (including student search, print and electronic publications, web, and social media)
- Oversees administration on of merit, and other special recruitment scholarships. Prepares and maintains the departmental budget; monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of policies and procedures; performs other duties as assigned
- Represents the University at national and regional professional meetings, sitting on committees and presentation panels, and in other public appearances. Collaborates with staff, departmental chairs, and faculty in key areas to support and assist in recruitment efforts; cultivates and maintains relationships with high schools, guidance and community college counselors and alumni to assist in accomplishing enrollment objectives
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Full time employees and part time employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Makes final decision on evaluating employee performance; hiring new employees; disciplinary actions; makes final decision on scheduling employee work hours; makes final decision on coaching and counseling; training; provides recommendations on handling employee grievances and complaints; and makes final decision on granting time off
- Master's degree
- Minimum of five (5) years of Enrollment Management experience with a demonstrated enthusiasm for leading a staff who values collaboration, teamwork to accomplish goals.
- None Required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Firm understanding of best practice recruitment strategies and admissions business processes
- Understanding of academic culture; an appreciation for and knowledge of current technology an d software in student recruitment; and high level of professionalism
- Knowledge of good analytical skills on data management
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Strong organizational skills
- Candidates must have strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements. Position is physically comfortable; individual has discretion about sitting (94%, walking (5%), standing (1%), etc. Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Manages department or section planning and assessment consistent with the university's goals and objectives and executive management's directives.
- Develops and oversees administration of the department/section budget to ensure effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment that advances department/section operations and initiatives through motivation, encouragement, and professional development of staff.
- Develops department/section procedures and work rules for compliance with government regulations and university policies; participates in the development and revision of applicable university policies.
- Competently represents the department/section through interactions with the university community and/or external constituents.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.