Skip to main content

Scholarships & Financial Aid

Submitting the FAFSA

​To receive most types of financial aid—including federal, state, and institutional grants, loans, and work-study eligibility—you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  If you are not sure if you are eligible to submit the FAFSA, visit College for all Texans website for more information.


The FAFSA is available beginning January 1 for the following school year and must be submitted to the University each year.  The priority deadline that UHD would like for students to meet is April 1.  Meeting the priority deadline gives you the best chance at being eligible for grant funding that is available on a first come, first served basis.  If you do not meet the April 1 deadline, you can still submit the application.

Financial Aid TV: Applying for Financial Aid

School Code

UHD’s Federal School Code is 003612.

How to File

The FAFSA is an electronic application that is submitted online through  To file the FAFSA you will need your and your parent(s) (if dependent) names, social security numbers, dates of birth, and income information.  If possible, use completed tax return information on your FAFSA; otherwise, provide your best estimates.

Financial Aid TV: 2015-2016 Tutorial—Renewal FAFSA Filers

Financial Aid TV: 2015-2016 Tutorial—First Time FAFSA Filers

Dependent vs. Independent

Some students are considered independent from their parents and do not have to supply parental information on the FAFSA.  For financial aid purposes, there are very specific things that make a student independent from their parents.  If you answer YES to any of the following statements, you will not have to provide parental information:

  • I was born before January 1, 1991
  • I am married
  • I will be working on a master’s or doctorate program (e.g., MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, graduate certificate)
  • I am serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces
  • I am a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • I now have or will have children for whom I will provide more than half of their support between July 1, 2014 and June 30, 2015
  • I have dependents (other than children or my spouse) who live with me and I provide more than half of their support
  • Since I turned age 13, both of my parents were deceased
  • I was in foster care since turning 13
  • I was a dependent or ward of the court since turning age 13
  • I am currently or I was an emancipated minor
  • I am currently or I was in legal guardianship
  • I am homeless or I am at risk of being homeless

If you check NONE of the boxes, you will be asked to provide parental information.
For more information on submitting the FAFSA, please see the Federal Student Aid website:

Summer Financial Aid

Financial aid is generally awarded for the fall and spring semesters. If you would like to be awarded for the summer semester, you would need to submit a Summer Application Form.  The Summer Application Form is usually available to download during the spring semester. For more information about financial aid for the summer semester, visit the summer section

Office of Student Affairs
Last updated 10/1/2015 11:25 AM