Skip to main content

COVID19 Financial Aid FAQ

How do I contact the Financial Aid Office if the school is closed?
The financial aid office is still available by phone and email: 713-221-8041

Will I receive my financial aid during this time?
Yes, the Financial Aid Office will continue to process and disburse financial aid.

Will the Financial Aid Office be open during the remainder of the spring semester?
Yes, the Financial Aid office will be available by phone or email from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. You may reach us at (713) 221-8041 or

Will I be able to receive the same services from the Financial Aid Office during this period?
Yes, the services provided to students will remain the same.

Will I be able to submit documents to the financial aid office?
Yes, you may continue to upload documents via the student portal for requests on your checklist. If you need to submit documents that are required to be submitted in person, you may email the signed document to us at along with a copy of your Photo ID.

Will I be able to make an appointment to see a financial aid counselor if I have questions?
Appointments with counselors will be available by telephone only. To ensure safety of students and staff, financial aid counselors will not be available for in-person meetings. Email our office at and one of our counselors will contact you.

If I am a work-study student will I still be paid?
Yes. If you were scheduled to work during the time the student workers were instructed to stop working, you will be paid for the time you were scheduled to work.

Will I be able to finish the term and keep my financial aid?
Yes, as long as you follow the arrangements set forth by the university, remain enrolled and complete the term. If you withdraw prior to the end of the term, you may be required to return a portion of the financial aid that you received.

Will my financial aid change now that there is only online instruction?
Your financial aid will not change due to the transition to online instruction. As long as you remain enrolled and maintain your enrollment status, your financial aid will not be affected. For example, if you are a full-time student currently taking 15 credit hours, finishing those 15 credit hours via online instruction still means you are a full-time student and will not change the financial aid you were awarded.

What should I keep in mind if I am considering dropping a course or withdrawing after spring break?
Dropping a course at this time in the semester, or withdrawing altogether, can impact your future financial aid eligibility. Altering your academic plan may cause you to exceed your maximum timeframe for financial aid or affect your credit completion pace, both components of the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy. In addition, if you have a scholarship or grant that requires continuous enrollment or specific enrollment criteria, you may be at risk of losing that aid when you withdraw. Read more about our financial aid SAP policy online.

What if I have questions regarding my student loans?
Visit and reference the Coronavirus Info for Students, Borrowers and Parents page.

Do I need a Financial Aid application for the summer term?
No, you do not need to complete a new FAFSA/TAFSA application for summer aid. Your completed 2019-2020 FAFSA/TASFA application should be on file and will be used for summer financial aid consideration. We've simplified the process, and all you need to do is register early for your summer classes for the best chance to receive an award. Most funds require half-time enrollment to be eligible for summer aid. The financial aid office will take care of the rest.

Do I need a Financial Aid application for the fall term?
Yes, you need to submit a new FAFSA/TAFSA application for the fall term. The 2020-2021 academic year begins with the Fall semester, and a new financial aid application is needed for each academic year. Submit your 2020-2021 FAFSA application today. UHD's school code is 003612.

Last updated 9/15/2020 6:02 AM