Dr. Richard Powers
Dr. Richard PowersLecturerCriminal Justice
Richard "Rick" Powers is a Lecturer in the Department of Criminal Justice & Social Work after several years as an adjunct instructor in the College of Public Service and the Master of Security Management Program in the Davies College of Business. Immediately prior to joining UHD, Rick was a corporate security director and consultant for Fortune 500 companies with US, Canada, and South American operations.
His law enforcement career began as a police officer, including assignment to a multi-agency narcotics task force. After law school, he was an Assistant State's Attorney in Florida and later joined a civil law firm representing clients in federal and state courts, including police officers and other public employees.
Rick returned to law enforcement as an FBI Special Agent. He was promoted to supervisory positions at both FBI headquarters and field offices and was a trained hostage/crisis negotiator. He then held senior leadership roles including Inspector, Special Agent in Charge of the Denver and Houston field offices, and Assistant Director heading the Office of Congressional Affairs and Government Relations in Washington DC. During his career Rick trained hundreds of police officers, correctional officers and security managers in crisis negotiation, crisis management, legal issues, and leadership.
Juris Doctor, Florida State University
Bachelor of Arts, International Studies, University of West Florida
Ethics in Criminal Justice
Criminal Justice Cornerstone
Additional training & qualifications include:
- Admitted to the Florida Bar, 1988
- FBI Executive Leadership Program, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois
- Advanced Crisis Negotiation Specialist Course, New Scotland Yard, London
- FBI Academy (New Agent Training), Quantico Virginia
- Illinois State Police Academy (Basic Police Officer Course)
- 2020 UHD "Outstanding Adjunct" Award
- FBI Director's Award for Distinguished Service to the Law Enforcement Community
- Member: Society of Former Agents of the FBI