Turnitin is an online plagiarism checker that runs papers through a series of databases to check for already existing content within a student’s paper. Turnitin can be used for online plagiarism detection, grammar check, and as a grading tool.
Create a Turnitin Assignment
- First, make sure that Edit Mode is set to ON.
- You can only add a Turnitin assignment to a content area. Enter the content area in which you would like to place a Turnitin assignment. In this example, the content area is called Turnitin Assignments.
- Click the Build Content button, select Turnitin.
Type in the assignment’s Title and Max Grade.
Choose a Start, Due and Feedback Release Date for this assignment. In this example, the Turnitin assignment will be called “Plagiarism Checker.”
- In the Optional Settings menu, there are several controls available, including:
- Allow late submissions
- Allow students to see the similarity report results
- Exclude searching for bibliographic content from student papers
- Exclude searching for quoted content in student papers
- Exclude small matches
- Select which paper databases you include in the search
- After you have made your selections, scroll down and click submit.
- You will see the newly created assignment in your content area. For example, we labeled
the Turnitin link "Signature Assignment" in the figure below:
For additional support, visit http://uhd.edu/bbhelpform