Respondus Campus Wide: Import a Text/Word File with Questions into Blackboard
Set Up the Server
First, you will need to set up a Blackboard Server before completing the steps on
this page. See the Instructions for Adding a New Server
Respondus is a powerful tool for creating and managing exams that can be printed to paper or published directly to Blackboard. There is a specific way you must format a Text or Word file of your quiz to be imported using Respondus.
Each correct answer is designated by an asterisk at its left. Exams can be created
offline using a familiar Windows environment like Microsoft Word or Notepad and then
moved to Blackboard quickly and easily
Format the Text or Word Document Properly
When importing a Word or Text file quiz into Respondus, spacing and punctuation is
a) Make sure there is a period after the number of the question, followed by a single space.
b) After you write the question, press enter only once to begin typing in the letter choices.
c) Each letter choice should have a period after it, followed by a single space.
d) The asterisk should be placed before the letter of the correct answer, with no space between.
e) Press enter twice after the final answer choice of each question.
Word File Format
Text File Format
Import Quiz Document into Respondus
1. First, open Respondus.
2. In the Current Personality drop-down, make sure it says “Blackboard”
3. Click the Import Questions button at the bottom left
4. From the Type of file: drop-down, select whether you are using a Text or Word document.
If you are using MS word 2007 or newer to create your questions, select, the "DOCX"
file type. Then click the
Browse button associated with the File name field.
5. Navigate to the location in which you saved the Text or Word file, click the file and select Open.
6. In the “Create a new document, named:” field, type what you wish your quiz to be named.
7. Click the Preview button. The questions in your quiz should populate with “No warnings” listed below. If there are warnings, go back to your word document to look for mistakes.
Publish Questions into Blackboard
Note: You will need to
Add a Blackboard Server before completing this step. You will only need to do this once. You will not need
to do this for every test created.
1. Once you have set up the server, you will be returned to the original Publish Wizard or Retrieval dialog box, with the new server information populated. Click Next.
2. From the drop-down at number 1, select the course into which you wish to import
the test questions.
3. Select the Create New Exam option and give it a name or leave it name of the file you created.
4. Click Next.
5. You will now see a preview of your course structure. Select where you would like
the test to appear in your Blackboard course and then click
6. You will receive confirmation of a successful import. Click the
Finish button. You may close Respondus. Your test is now in Blackboard.
For additional support, visit http://uhd.edu/bbhelpform