Blackboard Learn: Organize Content
Tools for Organization
Some of the most commonly-used tools to organize your content in Blackboard Learn are:
- Content Areas – pages where you can add information, media, links, mashups and more
- Content Folders – just like in your computer, you can create a new folder to separate content
Create a Content Area
Content Areas are the most commonly created type of page in Blackboard Learn, because you can put almost anything and everything on them. The Content Area is where you will see these important buttons:
- A. Build Content – add information, media, links, mashups, etc.
- B. Create Assessment – add tests, surveys and assignments
- C. Add Interactive Tool – add discussion boards, blog/journal, chat, groups, etc.
- D. Assign Textbook – associate a textbook with the course (from a database or manually)
- Log into Blackboard and enter the course.
- Make sure that Edit Mode is set to ON at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- To create a content area in your course, hover over the plus sign at the top left
of the course
navigation menu. A drop-down menu will appear. Click the first option, Create Content Area.
- A box will appear, allowing you to type a name, make it available with a checkmark,
- Click the title of the new content area, which will appear at the bottom of the course navigation menu. Once inside the content area, you may begin building.
Create a Content Folder
You may only create content folders in a content area. The folder will allow you to categorize a large amount of information you have added (or plan to add) to a content area.
- Once inside the content area you wish to add a folder to, click the Build Content button, and select Content Folder. In this example, the content area is called “Chapter 3 Files,” which has been loaded with Excel, PowerPoint, Word and PDF files. If you had an abundance of each type of file, you may wish to create folders to separate categories.
- In this example, the first folder will be called “Excel Files.” Type its name and the text area is optional.
- Scroll down. You will find Standard Options in all elements through-out Blackboard Learn. They include:
- a. Permit Users to View this Content – You may choose to make it unavailable until finished
- b. Track Number of Views – See how many students have clicked this item
- c. Select Date and Time Restrictions – choose a day/time to display and stop displaying the item
- Scroll down and click Submit.
Your new folder will appear at the bottom of the list of items on the content area.
Move Existing Files into a Content Folder
- Click the action link next to the file you wish to move, and select Move.
- You will be taken to the Move area. You may move the file to a different course by choosing from the drop-down menu next to Destination Course. In this example, we are moving the file to a new folder within the same course, so simply click the Browse… button.
- A pop-up will appear. Select the folder you wish to move the file into; in this case, Excel Files.
- After clicking the folder, the pop-up disappears and the location populates in the Destination Folder. Scroll down and click Submit.
- The file will disappear from where it had been prior to the move. If you click the title of new folder you created, you will see that your file is inside.
For additional support, visit http://uhd.edu/bbhelpform