Blackboard: Creating a Rubric
Create a Rubric
- Log in to Blackboard. Navigate to the course where you want to create the Rubric.
- Access the Course Tools menu within the Course Management area.
- Select Rubrics from the Course Tools menu.
- Click Create Rubric.
- Enter the Name for the rubric and add a Description if desired.
- Select Add Row to add a new criterion to the bottom of the grid.
- Select Add Column to add a new level of achievement to the grid.
- Choose a Rubric Type from the menu:
- No Points: Provide feedback only. Points: Each level of achievement has a single point value.
- Point Range: Each level of achievement has a range of values.
- Percent: Each item's possible points determines the percentage.
- Percent Range: Each level of achievement has a range of values. When you grade, you select the appropriate percentage level for a particular level of achievement. The system calculates the points earned by multiplying the weight x achievement percentage x item points.
- Type a point or percentage value for each row and column.
- Type a description for the criteria and the associated level of achievement. Each cell has a 1,000-character limit.
- Select Submit.
You can reorder rows and columns. Select the Criteria or Levels of Achievement heading, which opens a reorder panel.
NOTE: After you use a rubric for grading, you can't edit it. You can copy the rubric to create a duplicate rubric you can edit.
When you choose a percent-based rubric, select from these options:
- Show Criteria Weight check box: Show or hide criteria weights. If you add more rows when weights are hidden, weights for new criteria are distributed equally.
- Balance Weights: Use after you add a new row to keep all criteria weighted equally. If you want individual criteria weighting, type percentages for each criterion. You must select the Show Criteria Weight check box for Balance Weights to appear.
The total weight for all criteria must equal 100%. No row may have a 0% weight. At least one level of achievement must have a value of 100%.
Associate a Rubric
You can associate rubrics with these types of gradable content:
- Essay, Short Answer, and File Response test questions
- Blogs and journals
- Discussion forums and threads
You can also associate a rubric with any non-calculated Grade Center column. For example, you can associate a rubric with a manually created column for class participation and use the rubric to grade participation. Access a column's menu and select Edit Column Information.
To associate a rubric, access the Add Rubric menu and choose one of these options:
- Select Rubric from those you've created.
- Create New Rubric opens a window so you can create a rubric.
- Create From Existing uses an existing rubric as a template to create a new rubric.
In the Type column, you can designate a rubric as Used for Grading or Used for Secondary Evaluation. If you associate multiple rubrics, you can use only one as the primary grading rubric.
Show Rubric to Students has four options for rubric visibility:
- No: Students can't view the rubric.
- Yes (With Rubric Scores): Students can view the rubric when you make the item available, including possible point or percentage values.
- Yes (Without Rubric Scores): Students can view the rubric when you make the item available, but they can't see the possible point or percentage values.
- After Grading: Students can view the rubric only after you've finished grading their submissions.
For additional support, visit http://uhd.edu/bbhelpform