Using the Glossary
Each entry in the Glossary consists of the term and an accompanying definition.
Locate the Glossary
- Login to Blackboard and select the course in which you would like to create a glossary.
- Once you have entered the course, make sure Edit Mode is ON.
3. Locate the Control Panel and select Course Tools and then select Glossary.
Adding an Entry Manually
- Click Create Term.
2. Enter the Term and the Definition.
3. Click Submit
Adding Multiple Entries Using the Upload Tool
Another way to add entries is to upload an Excel, Tab delimited text file (.TXT), file with
multiple terms and definitions. To format your document, do the following:
- Open Microsoft Excel.
- Enter the Term in cell A1 and the Definition in cell B1.
- Continue adding terms on subsequent rows until all terms have been added.
4. Save the document as a .TXT file. Note: Remember the location of the save Excel file.
5. You will now return to Blackboard Glossary page.
6. Click Upload/Download and then Upload Glossary.
7. Click Browse My Computer to locate the saved Excel file.
8. Locate select the Excel file. Click Open.
9. You will see the .txt file attached in the Selected File area.
10. Choose one of the following options:
- If you would like to add the new terms to existing terms, select Add the Terms in this File to the Glossary.
- If you would like to replace terms you have already entered, select Delete all Glossary Terms and Replace with the Terms in this File.
11. Click Submit.
12. Your terms will be added to the glossary.
Making the Glossary Visible to Students (Available to Users)
The glossary must be enabled by the Instructor before Students can view it. To turn on the glossary:
- Click the blue Add Menu Item (plus sign) button at the top left of the course menu and select Tool Link.
2. You may name the glossary area anything you like.
3. From the Type drop-down, select Glossary.
4. Make sure the “Available to Users” checkbox is checked.
5. Click Submit.
6. Students can now view the glossary and the terms you have added to it.
For additional support, visit http://uhd.edu/bbhelpform