Turnitin is an online plagiarism checker that runs papers through a series of databases to check for already existing content within a student’s paper. Turnitin can be used for online plagiarism detection, grammar check, and as a grading tool.
Create a Turnitin Assignment
- First, make sure that Edit Mode is set to
- You can only add a Turnitin assignment to a content area. Enter the content area in which you would like to place a Turnitin assignment. In this example, the content area is called Turnitin Assignments.
- Click the
Build Content button, select
The first time you create a Turnitin assignment, you will need to confirm that you are at least 13 years of age. Click the
I agree – continue button.
Type in the
assignment’s Title and
Start, Due and
Feedback Release Date for this assignment. In this example, the Turnitin assignment will be called “Plagiarism Checker.”
- In the
Optional Settings menu, there are several controls available, including:
After you have made your selections, scroll down and click
submit.You will see the newly created assignment in your content area. For example, we labeled the Turnitin link "Signature Assignment" in the figure below:
- Allow late submissions
- Allow students to see the similarity report results
- Exclude searching for bibliographic content from student papers
- Exclude searching for quoted content in student papers
- Exclude small matches
- Select which paper databases you include in the search
For additional support, visit