Before adding a syllabus to your Blackboard course, you may want to create a content area for the syllabus. Alternatively, you may use an existing content area.
In the following example we will create a content area called “Syllabus” and then add the Syllabus to the course.
Create a Content Area for the Syllabus
- Log in to Blackboard
- Select the course for which you would like to add the Syllabus.
- Click the plus sign at the top left of the course navigation box and select Content Area.
- A box appears allowing you to type a name for the content area. Next, decide if you want to make the link available to Users (students) and then click
- The new content area will appear at the bottom of the course menu.
- To enter the empty content area, click its title.
Upload a Word or PDF Syllabus
- Once inside the content area, click the
Build Content button, and select
- In the
Add Syllabus area, you may choose a name for your syllabus, such as “English 1301 Syllabus.”
- If you are using a Word or PDF document for a syllabus, click the radio button next to
Use Existing File.
- Browsing options will appear. Click
Browse My Computer.
- A window will open allowing you to search through your computer’s files and find your syllabus. Select the syllabus and click
- Confirm that the syllabus is listed under Attached Files.
- Click the
- You will be taken to an area where you may edit the name again, add a description, remove the attached syllabus (if you accidentally chose the wrong file) and choose availability options. After you have made your selections, scroll down and click
- The syllabus is now an item in the “Syllabus” content area. To view from a student perspective, turn
Edit Mode to OFF and click the attachment.
For additional support, visit