Using Respondus LockDown Browser - Instructor
Respondus LockDown Browser is a customized browser that increases the security of online testing in Blackboard. When students use Respondus LockDown Browser to take a Blackboard test, they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, access other applications, or close a test until it is submitted for grading. The list below highlights the features of Respondus LockDown Browser.
1. Modified Toolbar - the condensed toolbar includes only Forward, Back, Refresh and Stop functions.
2. Test Mode - tests are shown full-screen and cannot be minimized, resized, or exited until submitted for grading.
3. Disabled Controls - all printing, keystroke combinations, screen grab, function keys, and right-click menus have been disabled.
4. Links - links to other web servers will open in a new, secure window and prevent browsing beyond that page.
5. Blocked Features & Applications - the Start button (Windows), system tray, and menu bars have been removed.
Preparing a Test
1. Make sure the test has been deployed in the Blackboard course.
2. From the Control Panel in Blackboard Learn, locate the Course Tools section and select the link Respondus LockDown Browser.
3. A list of deployed tests will be displayed.
- Tests labeled with “Required” require students to use LockDown Browser
- Tests labeled with “Not Required” don’t require LockDown Browser.
4. To change the setting for a test, click the ActionLink to the Right of the title of the test.
5. Choose Modify Settings.
6. Choose Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this test. Optionally you may choose passwords for the test.
7. Click Save and Close to apply the settings.
* While Chromebooks will work across most all applications across UHD, Chromebooks will not work while taking an exam using Respondus Lock Down Browser and Monitor.
For additional support, visit http://uhd.edu/bbhelpform