Set Up the Server
See the Instructions for Adding a New Server (link)
Respondus is a powerful tool for creating and managing exams that can be printed to paper or
published directly to Blackboard. There is a specific way you must format a Text or Word file of
your quiz to be imported using Respondus.
Each correct answer is designated by an asterisk at its left. Exams can be created offline using a
familiar Windows environment like Microsoft Word or Notepad and then moved to Blackboard quickly and
Format the Text or Word Document Properly
When importing a Word or Text file quiz into Respondus, spacing and punctuation is very
a) Make sure there is a period after the number of the question, followed by a single space.
b) After you write the question, press enter only once to begin typing in the letter choices.
c) Each letter choice should have a period after it, followed by a single space.
d) The asterisk should be placed before the letter of the correct answer, with no space
e) Press enter twice after the final answer choice of each question.
Word File Format
Text File Format
Import Quiz Document into Respondus
1. First, open Respondus.
2. In the Current Personality drop-down, make sure it says “Blackboard 7.x – 9.x.”
3. Click the Import Questions button at the bottom left
4. From the Type of file: drop-down, select whether you are using a Text or Word document.
Then click the Browse button associated with the File name field.
5. Navigate to the location in which you saved the Text or Word file, click the file and select
6. In the “Create a new document, named:” field, type what you wish your quiz to be
7. Click the Preview button. The questions in your quiz should populate with “No warnings”
8. Click Finish.
Publish Questions into Blackboard
1. Once you have set up the server, you will be returned to the original Publish Wizard or
Retrieval dialog box, with the new server information populated. Click Next. ( You may be
required to enter your password again here)
2. From the drop-down at number 1, select the course into which you wish to import the test
3. Select the Create New Pool option and give it a name (it can be the same here, too).
4. Click Next.
5. You will receive confirmation of a successful import. Click the Finish button. You may close
6. Go to your course in Blackboard. You will find your questions uploaded to Test, Surveys and
Pools in the Pools area.
For additional support, visit http://uhd.edu/bbhelpform