In the Grade Center, you can calculate grades using calculated columns. Calculated columns
combine data from multiple columns to attain performance results. You can share these results
with students and your institution.
Locate the Grade Center
1. Log in to Blackboard.
2. Enter the course in which you would like to begin using the Grade Center.
3. Under the Course Management Menu, click Grade Center. Next, click Full Grade
Creating Calculated Columns
In Blackboard, you are now able to create several different types of calculated columns:
Average - An Average Column calculates and displays the numeric average for a selected
number of Columns. Columns with text as the primary display cannot be averaged.
Minimum/Maximum - A Minimum/Maximum Column calculates either the minimum or
maximum grade for a selected number of Columns. Columns with text as the primary
display cannot be displayed as a minimum or maximum grade.
Total - A Total Column calculates the total points for a number of Columns related to the
total number of points allowed. Total Columns are useful for generating a final score.
Columns with text as the primary display cannot be totaled.
Weighted - A Weighted Column calculates and displays a grade based for a selected
number of Columns based upon each column's respective worth of the total grade.
Columns with text as the primary display cannot be displayed as a weighted grade.
Creating a Weighted Grade Column
1. Move the cursor over the Create Calculated Column icon in the ActionBar of the Grade Center.
2. Select Weighted Column.
3. Enter a Column Name.
4. Enter a Grade Center Display Name.
5. Enter a Description.
6. Select Primary Display and Secondary Display options from the drop-down menus
7. Select the items to be included in the Weighted Grade Column, and enter the
percentages for each Column or Category to be included in the Weighted Grade.
a. Columns to Select – A list of all columns in the Grade Center. Select the Column and
click the arrow to add it to the Weighted Grade column.
b. Categories to Select – A list of all Categories in the Grade Center. Select the
category and click the arrow to add it to the Weighted Grade column.
Note: The following image the workflow for creating a Weighted Grade Column based on
four (4) columns:
- Mid-term Exam = 20%
- Final Exam = 30%
- Assignments Category = 25%
- Quizzes Category = 25%
8. Calculate as a running total – Select Yes to calculate the weight as a running total
including only the Columns that have been graded. Select No to include all items.
9. Share Weighted Grade column with users. The following permissions can be selected
to add the column to My Grades:
a. Include Column in the Grade Center calculations – Makes the Column available
for use in other calculations.
b. Show this column to Students – Shows the column in My Grades.
c. Show Statistics (average and median) to Students in My Grades– Shows the Weighted Grade column statistics in My Grades.
10.Click Submit to save
All Other Calculated Columns
1. Move the cursor over the Create Calculated Column icon in the Action Bar of the Grade Center. Select the type of calculated column you would like to create.
2. In the Column Name box, type a name for your column. Type a GradeCenter Display Name if desired.
3. In the Description text area, type a description for your column.
4. Select Primary Display and Secondary Display options from the drop-down menus available.
5. Under Select Columns, choose the columns you wish to include in the Average, Max/Min, or Total Column. You can choose all columns, or you can select columns.
6. Select Yes or No to Calculate a Running Total.
7. Under Options, select to include the column in the grade center, show the column to
students, and to show statistics for this column to students if desired.
8. When you are finished, click Submit.
For additional support, visit http://uhd.edu/bbhelpform