Instructors may require students to use Respondus Lockdown Browser take tests within Blackboard Courses. Students will need to first install and then run LockDown Browser in place of their usual browser to take the exam or test.
While using LockDown Browser to take a test, certain functions are prevented, including the ability to print, copy/paste, and switch applications. Students should 0nly use Lockdown Browser for tests that require it. Otherwise use your regular browser.
When to Use LockDown Browser
Tests requiring LockDown Browser will include wording on the test’s link “Requires Respondus LockDown Browser.”
IMPORTANT! Students attempting to take a LockDown Browser test in any other browser will see the message below.
The password requirement only serves to ensure the user is indeed using LockDown Browser. If a student uses LockDown Browser in place of the usual browser, the password will be automatically entered and the assessment can begin.
Installing LockDown Browser
Student PCs on campus will have LockDown Browser already installed. If an icon for LockDown Browser is not already on the desktop, go to Start > Programs > Respondus and LockDown Browser can be started from there.
On personal computers, use the link below to install LockDown Browser:
Your system information will be detected, ensuring that the LockDown Browser installation file is the right one for your system. Mac users will therefore automatically be given the appropriate install file.
Before you click Install Now, consider viewing the short video in the Before You Install section for more information on LockDown Browser and what it does.
* While Chromebooks will work across most all applications across UHD, Chromebooks will not work while taking an exam using Respondus Lock Down Browser and Monitor.
Best Practices for LockDown Browser
- See System Requirements
- Tests should be accessed through links in Content Areas only. Content Areas are typically labeled Assessments or Tests, or otherwise inside a Course Content area. Do not access tests through What’s Due in the To Do module or from Due Date links in the Calendar tool.
- Sufficient bandwidth and other resources should be made available. Tests should not be taken on wireless devices.
- Make sure you set aside enough time to take the exam without interruptions.
- Take your exams in a quiet area.
- Review the Student Honesty Policy