The Community Scholars Program is a comprehensive program to promote student success inside and outside the classroom. Students in this program will benefit from advising, mentoring, tutoring, and career services.
Students will have opportunities to participate in service activities at the university n the local, regional, and international communities, attend seminars, and go on field and/or service trips. Students may also conduct projects and present at conferences.
|Program Requirements (per semester)|
- Attend at least two meetings of the group (if the meeting time conflicts with class schedule, it can be substituted with an event or service hours.)
- Participate in at least two community service events.
- Attend at least one UHD event.
- Apply for at least one scholarship, grant, or internship opportunity.
- Submit a resume and have a meeting with Dr. Gulati.
|Program Benefits |
- Textbook support.
- Internship and community service opportunities.
- Mentorship guidance.
- Access to free tutoring in lower and upper-division courses in math, sciences, and engineering.
- Connection to career soft skills training and career-broadening activities.
- Be enrolled as a full-time student at UHD.
- Maintain a GPA of 2.25 or higher.
|Fall 2020 Scheduled Group Meetings|
All meetings are held on UHD's OMB, Conference Room S626, from 9:00 am - 10:00 am.
- Thursday, February 3, 2020 - Introductions, review of program requirements
- Thursday, March 5, 2020 - Special guests: Trenshae' Gilbert, Assistant Director, Student Activities and David Tver, WRC Professional Tutor
- Thursday, March 19, 2020 - Special guests: Daniel Candelaria, Census Coordinator at Avenue and Raj Salhotra, JD, Founder and CEO of Momentum Education
- Thursday, April 2, 2020 - Special guests: Maria Bhattacharjee, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Bilingual Education, Urban Education and Maxine Todd, Employer Development/MBA Career Counselor II, MDCOB
- Thursday, April 23, 2020 - Special guest: Bridget Mueller, Ph.D., Lecturer, Arts and Communication