The Community Engagement Work-Study Program is a branch of the Federal College Work-Study Program operated by CCESL. The program is dual-purposed—provides temporary, part-time employment for UHD students with a financial need and meets the needs of the community through designated ‘partner’ organizations in Houston.
Partner organizations that employ Community Engagement Work-Study students are not paid wages by the organization. Students are compensated through their financial aid award and work 10 -19.5 hours per week. These organizations train, assign tasks, supervise, and monitor the hours of the student by completing weekly timesheets.
How to Apply for Community Engagement Work Study
UHD students may apply for Community Engagement Work
Study positions through the UHD employment website. To
be eligible, students must be work-study recipients.
Students should attach a copy of their class schedule as well as a screenshot of their work study award to the application. This will help speed up the employment process.
Community Engagement Work Study Responsibilities
- The CCESL Work Study Coordinator will:
- Interview the student
- Submit a Security Background Check Request to the UHD Employment Office
- Receive the approval to proceed with the employment process
- Send the Off-Campus Referral Form to the organization prior to the organization's interview with the student
- Receive the Off-Campus Referral Form from the organization and process it
- Complete and finalize employment forms and work study instructions with student
- The student will:
- Return all forms to CCESL Work Study Coordinator prior to beginning employment
- Begin working on the approved date and work schedule
- The organization will:
- Train the student employee
- Provide the student with a computer to electronically punch in/out each arrival/departure day
- The organization must submit the timesheet each week no later than Wednesday morning at 9:00 am
- Evaluate student workers before their last day of work study by using the Work Study Evaluation Form.