The Bayou Review, The University of Houston-Downtown's literary and visual arts magazine, accepts submissions every semester. Please visit us at bayoureview.org for deadlines and further information.
- Poetry: 3 to 5 pages
- Fiction (short stories): up to 2,500 words
- Creative Non-Fiction: up to 2,500 words
- Literary Translation into English: Poetry 3 to 5 pages; or Prose: up to 2,500 words
- Visual Art: Must be submitted electronically with minimum 600x 600px 300dpi.
- Send your submission electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the subject of the email, please include your full name and the genre for the work enclosed. For example, "Sam Sample - Poetry"
- The email should include a cover letter, short bio (up to 50 words), your full name as you want it to appear in the magazine, your email address, and your phone number.
- The file with your work must be attached as a Word document (poetry, prose only) saved under your first and last name along with the genre for the piece. For example, "Sam Sample - Poetry.docx"
- If submitting multiple texts, each one should be in a separate Word document.
- Your name and contact information must appear on each page of your Word document.
- Submissions may be in English, Spanish, or Spanglish.
- If submitting a translation:
a. Include both the original and your translation into English.
b. Translators are expected to have identified the original copyright holder and have permission to publish the translated text. Please let us know if we can publish the original as well.