Skip to main content

Residency Status


All residency documents must be submitted to the Office of Admissions if you are an undergraduate or graduate applicant who has never attended UHD or if you are a student who has already registered for your first semester.

All residency status appeals must be done through the Registrar’s Office if you are a former and continuing undergraduate or graduate student.

Residency Information

An applicant to the University of Houston-Downtown, a Texas public university, will be classified as either a Texas resident or nonresident for tuition purposes. Residency classification is based on information provided on the admission application.

In general, to qualify as a Texas resident, an individual must reside in Texas for twelve consecutive months and have established a domicile in Texas prior to enrollment. An applicant or student who is basing their residency on a parent or court appointed legal guardian must be claimed as a dependent on their most recent income tax return and the parent or court appointed legal guardian must meet the residency requirements.

The complete residency regulations for the State of Texas can be found at the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board website.

If you wish to appeal your residency classification, please submit a completed and signed Residency Questionnaire by the Official Day of Record found in the Academic Calendar.

If you are appealing your residency classification based on Senate Bill 1528 (SB 1528), please submit a completed, signed, and notarized Affidavit by the Official Day of Record found in the Academic Calendar.

Senate Bill 1528 states:

On June 17, 2005, the Governor of Texas signed into law Senate Bill 1528 (SB 1528). Under this law, a person who is not a US citizen or permanent resident shall be classified as a Texas resident and is entitled to pay resident tuition, if the individual:

  1. Graduated from a public or accredited private high school in the State of Texas or received the equivalent of a high school diploma (GED) in the State of Texas,
  2. Maintained a residence continuously in the State of Texas for the 36 months immediately preceding the date of high school graduation or receipt of the high school diploma equivalent (GED), and
  3. Maintained a residence continuously in the State of Texas for the 12 months immediately preceding the academic term for which the person is trying to enroll at the University, and
  4. Submits an affidavit stating that the person will apply to become a permanent resident of the United State as soon as the person becomes eligible to do so (Affidavit of Intent).

Students who meet the first three criteria must submit a notarized Affidavit along with an official copy of their high school transcript or GED certificate.


Last updated 9/11/2018 6:37 AM