Post-Award Services supports the Office of Research and Sponsored Program's mission of providing quality customer service by delivering timely, accurate, and courteous assistance to our faculty, staff, other personnel, and sponsors.
- Approve all university expenditure documents (vouchers, travel, etc.) on grant funds to ensure they are compliant with regulations established by Federal and State law, agency regulations, and University policies and procedures·Complete and submit all required financial reporting to agencies
- Complete and submit all closeout documents to agency (progress reports/invention reports/equipment reports)
- Ensure payments are received from funding agencies
- Process budget revisions
- Process No-cost extensions
- Train faculty/staff on post-award issues
Awards from Federal agencies and other sponsors may include funds for participant support costs. Participant support costs are direct costs for items paid to or on behalf of participants or trainees in connection with conferences or training projects.
Who is a participant?
A participant is an individual who is the recipient of a service or training provided at a workshop, conference, seminar, symposium or other instructional or research activity funded by a sponsored award.
What are participant support costs?
Participant support costs are those costs paid to or on behalf of the participant. All costs that are reimbursed to or paid on behalf of participants must be incurred within the project period and specifically allowed by the sponsoring agency. These costs may include the following expenses, when required to participate in the project:
- Subsistence allowance
- Tuition and registration fees
- Event registration fees or lodging and meal expenses paid directly to the event facility, only if the payment is made on behalf of the participant
- Travel costs, including meals and incidentals
- Training materials and supplies
Budgeting participant support costs
Participant support costs cannot be rebudgeted for use in other categories without prior written approval of the sponsor.
Management of participant support costs
When a sponsored award includes participant support costs, the Principal Investigator (PI) and the Department Business Administrator (DBA) are responsible for ensuring compliance with those requirements.
The PI/department is also required to retain records detailing:
- Criteria by which the participants were selected
- Copies of applications of selected participants, with documentation as to how they meet the selection criteria
- A list of program participants and documentation of their participation in the program
Links and Resources
2 CFR PART 200—UNIFORM ADMINISTRATIVE REQUIREMENTS, COST PRINCIPLES, AND AUDIT REQUIREMENTS FOR FEDERAL AWARDS
NSF Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG)