Skip to main content

Policy for Use of Vehicles Rented or Personal Vehicle

    1. ​An employee may be reimbursed for mileage at the official state rate when a personal vehicle is used for component university business whether local or outside the component university area. Mileage reimbursement for local, intercity mileage or mileage to/from a local airport is not available for those employees receiving automobile allowances. However, mileage reimbursement is available to employees who receive an automobile allowance when they drive their personal vehicle to destinations that are more than 100 miles from their component university office to conduct component university-related business. The state mileage reimbursement rate takes into account gasoline costs, wear and tear on the vehicle, maintenance and insurance.

    2. The employee's personal insurance is expected to cover driver liability, comprehensive and collision damage to the vehicle. Because of this exposure, component university employees are encouraged to use vehicles that are owned, leased or rented by the component university, rather than personal vehicles for component university business.
    1. Should the employee's insurance carrier deny coverage or should any legal actions by a third party exceed the primary liability limit, the component university's automobile coverage will provide excess liability protection.

    2. ​The component university's automobile insurance does not provide comprehensive or col​lision coverage for an employee's personal vehicle.

Last updated 9/16/2020 6:56 AM