Skip to main content


Employee Assistance Program

The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a confidential counseling and referral program that is available to eligible employees and their families. Whether employees want to resolve a stressful work situation, find legal resources or get advice about a financial concern, the EAP can help.

Visit EAP online at to find self-help tools and resources. When prompted for the password, please enter "uteap." Then call to schedule a free, confidential appointment with one of their many skilled professionals. ​

Any troubling concern that gets out-of-hand or reduces your ability to concentrate can be brought to UTEAP at no cost.

Who is eligi​ble?

  • UHD employees (faculty and staff) who are in a full-time, benefits-eligible position
  • UHD employees (faculty and staff) who are in a part-time (50% FTE or higher), benefits-eligible position
  • Dependents of the above-listed employees

What types​​​ of assistance does the EA​P provide?

Mental Health

  • ​Family/parenting issues
  • Alcohol or drug problems
  • Grief or bereavement
  • Personal, work or school stress
  • Elder care issues
  • Marital or relationship problems
  • Anger management
  • Coping with change/anxiety
* Members are authorized three no c​​ost counseling sessions per issue per year.


  • Tax/IRS questions
  • Retirement planning
  • Credit advice
  • College tuition planning
  • Personal budgeting
  • Debt consolidation


  • ​Free simple will
  • Identity theft protection
  • Bankruptcy & credit*
  • Divorce & family matters*
  • Estate planning*
  • Consumer rights*
*Advice and analysis up to 30 minut​​​​es per issue.

Why does the Un​​iversity offer this service?

The University understands that it can be difficult to balance personal life with school/work life and partner with UTEAP to provide integrated solutions to complex problems facing employees and their eligible dependents.

How do I get started​​?

To ask a question or request a service, just call 713.500.3327. Callers will be immediately connected to an experienced UTEAP specialist. Available all day, all week, all year (24/7).

Where do I go for ​​an appointment?

In addition to the main location in the Texas Medical Center (7000 Fannin, Suite 1670, Houston), participants have a choice of other locations in the local area. They may request a location by their work, child’s school or residence. UTEAP also offer nationwide coverage. Call their main office at 713.500.3327 for a nearby location.

How much does the EAP​​​ cost?

This program is free. The University pays for this service to benefit its employees. UHD value their employees as a member of the community and look for ways to help them achieve their full potential.

Are the services confide​ntial?

All calls and visits to UTEAP are confidential as defined by law. Personal information or the issues shared will not be disclosed to UHD or other persons without written permission.​

Can I call UTEAP for non-cri​​​ses concerns?

Absolutely. UTEAP is available as a life management tool. They help tailor wellness programs, customize a specific training or just lend that supportive ear.

Who will provide services to me?​​

All therapists are experienced Masters/Ph.D. level clinicians located at offices convenient to home or work. They provide a structured, face-to-face approach for helping find solutions to everyday challenges.

Do you offer WorkLife​ Benefits?

Yes. Eligible employees can access child care, elder care and adoption consultation services -- as well as stress management and Work/Life balance training. Additionally, 3,000 different articles and a Savings Center are available online.


Last updated 12/2/2016 5:49 AM