Basic Position Information
Job Code: 4275
Title: User Support Specialist I
Department: User Support Services
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Technology Services
Job Sub-Family: User Support
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 12
Grade Min: $43,001
Grade Mid: $51,601
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The User Support Specialist I provides day-to-day technical assistance to students, faculty, and staff related to the operations of computer software, hardware, and network issues, ensuring a high degree of customer satisfaction.
- Troubleshoots and evaluates technical problems
- Supports a variety of software applications
- Installs, maintains, and troubleshoots standard software applications; provides hardware support
- Evaluates and tests new software applications and hardware
- Provides support and training to employees as required
- Assists faculty and staff on various technologies
- Researches new and enhanced technologies
- Troubleshoots and resolves network identification passwords issues
- Mentors part-time staff in standard software applications and hardware support
- Installs and troubleshoots client applications
- Performs other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Associate's degree in Information Technology or a related field
- Minimum of one (1) year of related job experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology or a related field is preferred
- Three (3) years of related job experience is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of Windows 10 and MacOS 10.14 or higher
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good customer service skills
- Ability to escalate issues when appropriate
- Ability to follow up on outstanding actions
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
- Must have good spatial awareness and precise hand-eye coordination
- May be required to move items of up to 25lbs
- May be asked to respond to problems or provide service after hours
- May be expected to carry and respond to cell phone at all times
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills with multiple hardware and software systems.
- Effectively applies expertise to identify and troubleshoot user issues.
- Competent to install and configure new systems.
- Willing to share expertise and provide technical support to others.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.