Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2248
Title: Success Advisor II
Department: Academic Advising
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Academic Advising
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 13
Grade Min: $47,731
Grade Mid: $57,277
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Success Advisor II invests in the success of their caseload. The Success Advisor II mentors and advises students to map out their educational career and meet their educational goals through intentional and intrusive monitoring of their caseload's success. The Success Advisor II works with students to help students select, outline, and achieve educational and development goals and cultivate a sense of community within the caseload.
- Advises new, transfer, and continuing students on academic matters such as course selection and degree declaration
- Advises students on university policy and procedures, program requirements, and related academic matters
- Assists with the development and implementation of advising workshops
- Fosters persistence and completion through intrusive and proactive monitoring of student progress within the caseload
- Serves as a student advocate for problem resolution promptly and closely monitors student progress to identify and advise on such matters proactively
- Discusses linkage between academic preparation, support services, and the working environment
- Works collaboratively with faculty and staff to monitor student success using processes such as Early Alert, Mid-term grades, academic standing, and satisfactory academic progress (SAP)
- Tracks and celebrates academic accomplishments of caseload
- Runs regular communication campaigns using EAB and other media
- Reviews and monitors degree progress
- May process and verify graduation applications
- May assist with First Time in College (FTIC) and transfer orientation
- May assist in recruiting high school and community college students and make presentations at special events
- May assist students within their caseload with financial aid information
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
- Passion for student success
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Knowledge of all courses, co-requisites, and pre-requisites offered at the University
- Knowledge of TSI policies
- Candidates must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills verbal and written
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
- Ability to build strong, long-term rapport with the caseload
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates the ability to advise and assist university students and/or prospective students with academic plans and course selection, financial options, career plans, and/or student opportunities.
- Shares relevant knowledge and insight to apprise students of the university's programs and services.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Listens and responds to student requests and concerns with patience and understanding.
- Treats students with respect.
- Demonstrates the ability to orally convey subject or message clearly and concisely to the intended audience.
- Generates interest and enthusiasm in the subject or message from the participants.
- Responds to participants' reactions or comments, and adjusts delivery style and/or format of presentation as needed.
- Possesses a thorough understanding of the subject or topic to provide practical responses to questions or issues.
- Displays applicable visuals and provides appropriate written materials to support the presentation.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.