Basic Position Information
Job Code: 5027
Title: Student Account Specialist III
Department: Student Business Services
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Financial Services
Job Sub-Family: Accounting, Budget & Finance
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 11
Grade Min: $39,923
Grade Mid: $46,910
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Student Account Specialist III serves as lead and processes complex financial transactions for student accounts and deposits for university departments. The Specialist III ensures that proper documentation and reports are maintained and that all figures and calculations are correct - including daily deposit totals, vault count, cash on hand, insufficient funds (NSFs), chargebacks, employee exit clearance. The Specialist coordinates with Accountants third party and property transactions.
- Creates allocation data for department deposits and journal entries for Student Business Services; Reconciles/payments of third-party contracts
- Assists, prepares, and audits collection accounts and ensures all property acquired is classified, coded, and enter it into the asset management system.
- Collects, and processes various types of payments from students, ensuring that the payment is allocated to the correct account; processes deposits for university departments; prepares and verifies cash and check totals for daily bank deposits, NSFs, chargebacks
- Researches and responds to student and departmental inquiries and provides information to aide with problem resolution, audits student financial records and corrects any issues that arise with digital and physical files; data collection for CIP/CIR(Continuous Improvement Plan/Report)
- Compiles, analyzes, researches, reconciles, and reports on ledger activities for assigned areas; Coordinates as necessary with team members and employees in other departments to ensure all data is accurate; Aid departments with acquiring and understanding backup documentation for 1074 budget reports
- Verifies and closes other cashier daily sessions; reconciles department and organization activities to ensure proper accounting for daily activity; reconciles daily transactions between systems; assigns and removes financial holds on student accounts as required; verifies employee financial data for separation/new hire clearance, review raise roster
- Verifies cashier transactions and processing daily deposits; reconciles department and organization activities to ensure proper accounting for daily activity and analyzes/researches out of balance; requests change orders to replenish vault funds; prepares Upward Bound cash; complete daily vault count and vault tracking
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- May assign, schedule and monitor the work of staff
- Associate's degree or up to three (3) years of college or technical school
- Minimum of two (2) years of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of basic Accounting principles
- Excellent math and computation skills;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Effective interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills
- Ability to use the university's computer programs, and Microsoft Word and Excel in particular
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment, lobby customer service island, or reception area
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
Research and Analysis
- Applies knowledge and skills to collect and analyze relevant data and information.
- Assesses benefits and risks, and prepares comprehensive reports of findings.
- Submits recommendations for management's review and evaluation.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.