Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3621
Title: Sponsored Research Administrator
Department: Research & Sponsored Programs
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Research
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 13
Grade Min: $47,731
Grade Mid: $57,277
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Sponsored Research Administrator is responsible for advanced financial knowledge of the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) and grant programs at UHD. The Administrator stays informed of grant activities, approves expenditures, prepares documents, and provides guidance to stakeholders.
- Initiates the creation of cost centers according to the terms of awarded projects (grants) and modifies cost centers according to revised award notices.
- Monitors department budget to include various types of accounts/funds and coordinates contracts and various financial processes.
- Prepares business documents in accordance with university and departmental standards; including, but not limited to, purchase vouchers, requisitions, travel reimbursements, personnel actions, for cash deposits as required by department for research purposes.
- Establishes and maintains department records, reports, presentations and proposals policies, procedures etc.
- Manages departmental databases and email accounts as well as maintain the CPHS and ORSP websites.
- Coordinate and assign IRB applications to CPHS members and ensure reviews are returned in a timely fashion.
- Provides guidance to department and college business administrators and faculty members on fiscal and administrative grant-related matters.
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Assists with supervising student workers
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Supervises the work of student employees.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Interdisciplinary or General Studies, or a related field
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
- Experience in Research Administration is an asset.
- Experience in PeopleSoft Financial is an asset.
- Experience with Grant Navigator or other grant management systems is an asset.
- Experience with IRB and COI is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the grant system in a higher education environment, and of the related trends, issues, and accepted practices.
- Good technical skills;
- Good analytical and problem solving skills;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to multi-task and adjust to changing priorities.
- Ability to prioritize and initiate actions;
- Ability to censor information, ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks. Occasional lifting, pushing, climbing, and pulling may be required.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Communicates clearly, concisely, and with courtesy.
- Carefully listens to customer or thoroughly reads correspondence, and uses good judgment to respond appropriately. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Communicates requests for further action or resources to appropriate individuals with tact.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.