Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2035
Title: Security Systems Administrator
Department: Public Safety
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Police
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 17
Grade Min: $72,265
Grade Mid: $88,524
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: Significant
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Security Systems Administrator manages all aspects of the university's electronic access control, security, and CCTV systems, including design, installation, maintenance, and service of the systems. The Administrator oversees the proper application, installation, programming, and integration of all security systems as necessary.
- Manages, trains, and supports subordinate team members, overseeing the installations and services that they complete
- Coordinates security system projects; conducts system testing
- Maintains systems, updating servers and licensing and revising software as needed
- Manages the programming, configuration, and interfacing of the access control and CCTV systems
- Maintains the PD patrol car and body camera system; exports video as required for court cases involving BWC, patrol car cameras, and CCTV cameras
- Works with internal university clients regarding their particular areas and required security; coordinates services and new security related installations on their behalf as required
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s).
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Minimum of 5 (five) years of related job experience
- Access control and CCTV installation and configuration certification is required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of basic electronics, simple circuits, and low voltage electronic circuitry
- Understanding of blueprints and floorplans
- Knowledge of the functionality of boom lifts and scissor lifts
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to use basic hand and power tools
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
- Work involves occasional exposure to elements, such as inclement weather and extreme temperatures
- May, on rare occasions, be exposed to potentially hazardous or cancer-causing chemicals
- May, on rare occasions, be required to work in a confined space, near moving mechanical parts, or in a high dangerous place that requires the use of a ladder
- Must have good spatial awareness, precise hand-eye coordination, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 75lbs
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills with multiple hardware and software systems.
- Effectively applies expertise to identify and troubleshoot user issues.
- Competent to install and configure new systems.
- Willing to share expertise and provide technical support to others.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.