Basic Position Information
Job Code: 6205
Title: Paint Shop Lead
Department: Facilities Management
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Facilities Management
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 11
Grade Min: $39,923
Grade Mid: $46,910
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Paint Shop Lead assists with maintaining the physical appearance of the university by scheduling the paint shop, painting, creating and assigning work orders, and ensuring the availability of paint supplies required for daily tasks and projects.
- Ensures the paint shop has the materials required to perform duties and tasks
- Creates and assigns work orders
- Performs painting, refinishing, and prepping tasks
- Collaborates and coordinates with others as required
- Conducts inspections of work as required
- Performs data entry as required to input, distribute, and close work requests
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
- Craftsmanship level skills is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of drywall finishing, color matching, and painting;
- Knowledge of materials, equipment, and up-to-date trends in the painting trade
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to be flexible; ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in some or all of the following areas: an office environment, lobby, corridor/hallway, classroom, training room, auditorium, gymnasium or other physical training room, mechanical room, custodial/janitorial room, other technician's shop
- May work in an outside environment, including on a roof
- Work involves moderate exposure to unpleasant elements, such as adverse weather conditions, extreme temperatures, oils, dirt, dust, fumes, and airborne particles
- Position requires maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting, standing, or walking for prolonged periods of time, as well as for bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling, jumping, climbing, and frequent reaching
- May be required to work in a confined space, in a high, dangerous place, or be exposed to vibration
- May be required to work near moving mechanical parts, and, on rare occasions, be exposed to the risk of electric shock
- May, on rare occasions, be exposed to potentially hazardous bodily fluids and to potentially hazardous or cancer-causing agents or chemicals
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination, good spatial awareness, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors.
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 75lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates the essential skills required to use equipment and tools needed to perform job duties and responsibilities.
- Follows maintenance and operation procedures and safety rules to minimize equipment malfunctions and prevent personal injuries.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.