Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2772
Title: Open Education Resources Librarian
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Library
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 15
Grade Min: $58,809
Grade Mid: $70,571
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Open Education Resources (OER) Librarian facilitates the evaluation and implementation of open and affordable learning materials, and collaborates with faculty, library staff, and other campus partners to promote the adoption of these resources.
- Develops and sustains strategic partnerships and effective working relationships with campus stakeholders to promote the use of open educational resources and affordable course content.
- Coordinates subject librarians to guide faculty in the discovery, dissemination, and assessment of open content, and to advise faculty on copyright and open licensing issues as they pertain to OER creation and adaptations.
- Creates and maintains web and print content to promote the visibility of OER initiatives and collaborates with other librarians to promote OER using interactive tutorials, faculty workshops, and other appropriate methods.
- Identifies library resources that could be used as affordable learning materials and advise library administrators on how library services can be designed to effectively support the adoption of these materials in UHD courses.
- Provides reference assistance in a variety of formats to the University community and the general public.
- Provides library instruction within-subject assignments and performs collection development.
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Full-time and Part-time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Master's degree in Library and Information Science or a related field from a University accredited by the American Library Association
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
- Familiarity with practices, issues, and trends in open textbooks, open licensing, and fair use.
- Knowledge of major OER repositories and open training materials in higher education.
- Ability to assess and learn new technologies quickly.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the library function, and the related trends, issues, and best practices.
- Writing skills to create promotional materials and training content
- Oral communication and presentation abilities.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office and library environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills in one or more functional areas.
- Effectively applies expertise to identify user issues with existing systems and coordinate resolution with technical staff.
- Understands business processes to successfully integrate them with existing and new systems.
- Competent to coordinate requests for system modifications with technical staff.
- Willing to share expertise and provide functional assistance to others.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.