Basic Position Information
Job Code: 4377
Title: Network Administrator IV
Department: Technical Services
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Technology Services
Job Sub-Family: Technical Services
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 19
Grade Min: $91,458
Grade Mid: $112,036
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Network Administrator IV provides planning, design, execution, and support for complex network Enterprise infrastructure and technologies for the university, ensuring that secure, scalable, and robust network services are readily available for students, faculty, staff, vendors, and guests.
- Researches and plans for campus LAN/WAN/WLAN, Datacenter, Remote, disaster recovery, and Cloud networking technology advancements, including network security mechanisms
- Develops strategies to align technology advancements with network device capabilities and/or enhancements that adheres to industry standards and facilitate a scalable roadmap for the university core networking infrastructure
- Plans and develops strategies to enhance campus LAN/WAN and Remote (VPN) networking infrastructure, aligning to industry standards and technological roadmaps
- Leads and supervises the integration of network device enhancements, coordinating faulty device replacements with cross-functional IT teams
- Maintains hardware operability and analyzes and distributes vendor recommended code and software versions, mitigating any security threat vulnerabilities
- Plans and develops strategies to integrate Enterprise firewall distribution points at designated network segments; plans and develops on-premise, remote, and cloud network infrastructure strategies; designs, plans, and executes strategies to optimize the resiliency of wireless network services
- Maintains and distributes VPN client packages and composes appropriate security policies for approved users, ensuring that secure remote connectivity services are provided to all users
- Coordinates with external parties as necessary to establish external/ISP connectivity and alternate paths to maintain resilience
- Monitors and analyzes bandwidth and throughput utilization to plan network capacity.
- Executes controls to provide optimal services for university users from the distributed enterprise networking infrastructure; develops, maintains, and executes security policies at firewall distribution points
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- May supervise student workers
Delegation of Work:
- May assign work to subordinate(s)
- May provide general supervision and assign tasks to subordinates
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Information Systems or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- CISSP and/or CCNA certification is preferred; experience with apps related to safeguarding users, data, and networks is preferred;
- Experience with Next Generation Firewalls, Next Generation IPS, and Wireless Controllers is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- In-depth knowledge of local and wide area networks;
- Knowledge of wireless networks, network security, and routing protocols
- Good general technical skills; good computational skills;
- Strong analytical and complex problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to install, configure, and troubleshoot various network issues with minimal supervision;
- Ability to draw up a network infrastructure with minimal supervision;
- Ability to research and recommend new technologies;
- Ability to multi-task; ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
- May, on rare occasions, be exposed to extreme temperatures and inclement weather conditions
- May, on rare occasions, be exposed to the risk of an electric shock and work in a high dangerous place
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination, good spatial awareness, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 25lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills in a technical area.
- Effectively applies expertise to troubleshoot existing systems and develop solutions with existing technology.
- Competent to learn new technologies and integrate them with existing technology.
- Willing to share expertise and provide technical assistance to others.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.