Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2827
Title: Manager, Shipping, Receiving and Mailroom
Department: University Business Services
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Administrative Operations
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 13
Grade Min: $47,731
Grade Mid: $57,277
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Manager of Shipping, Receiving and Mailroom plans directs, develops, administers and manages all the operational and procedural functions and activities shipping, receiving, and mailroom that are engaged in sorting, handling and distributing materials and products.
- Manages the department by utilizing best practices in resources allocation, human resources, leadership and customer services techniques, and production methods by integrating and applying the most suitable techniques and/or resources to benefit the university
- Supervises the daily activities of staff; monitors the flow of incoming and outgoing mail and package services, ensuring that correct processes are followed
- Monitors and balances the United States Postal and express accounts; submits files to be automated
- Balances the postage funds, ensuring that postage is correctly charged to the relevant department account; verifies that all charges have been posted at the end of the month
- Researches, defines, and implements the most appropriate technology and software processes; works with mail and tracking vendors by requesting bids for equipment and software
- Develops policies and procedures for the department
- Manages, processes, and monitors the logistics of disposing of and recycling products for the university
- Develops safety controls for securing the department's assets
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Full Time and Part Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Minimum of four (4) years of related job experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of postal regulations
- Knowledge of procedures relating to handling and processing postage charges
- Knowledge of commonly used Mail Accounting and System Tracking hardware and software
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office
- Strong budgeting, analytical and reporting skills
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills; good public speaking skills
- Ability to professionally represent the university
- Ability to supervise and train support staff
- Ability to present information during student and employee orientations
- Ability analyze situations or problems, to implement university procedures, and to formulate logical and objective conclusions and decisions
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination, good spatial awareness, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Work involves occasional exposure to elements, such as inclement weather and extreme temperatures.
- May, on rare occasions, be exposed to airborne particles, moving mechanical parts, potentially hazardous bodily fluids, or cancer-causing agents
- May be exposed to the loud noise of machines and passing vehicles
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 100lbs
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Manages department or section operations consistent with department/section goals and objectives.
- Administers the department/section budget ensuring effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment through motivation, encouragement, and mentorship of staff.
- Ensures department/section compliance with university and department policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Keeps management apprised of department/section activities and issues requiring senior management input.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.