Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2577
Title: Manager, Organizational and Talent Development
Department: Employment Svcs & Operations
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Employment Services and Operations
Job Sub-Family: ESO Services
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 17
Grade Min: $72,265
Grade Mid: $88,524
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Manager, Organizational and Talent Development aids in the orientation and development of managers. This position support the University's mission by developing and overseeing various skill development initiatives.
- Designs and facilitates the Manager Development Program, ensuring that all new and newly promoted managers complete the program; maintain all attendance records. Maintain Manager Development (MD) learning calendar
- Designs, promotes and facilitates development opportunities for all managers
- Provides coaching sessions to managers to assist in skill building; Plans and facilitates departmental team building sessions
- Oversees Talent Development activities and staff
- Conducts training needs analysis to define management-related training needs, identifies problems and areas of concern through collaboration with Employee Relations; researches and gathers data pertinent to programing and assists with the evaluation and measurement of program effectiveness; creates reports and dashboards
- Designs interventions to address specific management problems
- Oversees University annual and new hire mandatory training
- Advises and counsels managers in managing employee issues
- Maintain UHD's leadership succession development plans
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Minimum of four (4) years of related job experience. Previous supervisory experience required
- Master's degree preferred
- Experience designing and delivering learning content
- Experience in employee development
- Experience working with a Learning Management System (LMS)
- Experience advising and counseling managers
- Experience training and developing managers
- Experience with personality assessment tools
- SHRM, HRCI or ATD certification preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of initiatives that are appropriate and related trends, issues, and accepted practices.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills - verbal and written
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong relationship management skills
- Strong technical acumen
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
- Clarity of vision is required
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Demonstrates the ability to orally convey subject or message clearly and concisely to the intended audience.
- Generates interest and enthusiasm in the subject or message from the participants.
- Responds to participants' reactions or comments, and adjusts delivery style and/or format of presentation as needed.
- Possesses a thorough understanding of the subject or topic to provide practical responses to questions or issues.
- Displays applicable visuals and provides appropriate written materials to support the presentation.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.