Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2852
Title: Manager, Budget
Department: Budget Office
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Financial Services
Job Sub-Family: Accounting, Budget & Finance
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Manager, Budget manages the administrative and analytical operations of the department, which includes overseeing the preparation and continued maintenance of the university's operating budget to ensure that the university's fiscal goals, operations, and vision are met in a responsible manner.
- Oversees the preparation and submission of the university's annual operating budget each fiscal year to the UHS Board of Regents; allocates resources and manages cash for the university's state and local funds
- Prepares and submits the biennial Legislative Appropriations Request to the state, including preparing all supporting schedules
- Oversees and ensures submission of the required state quarterly reports to the Legislative Budget Board and the State Auditor's Office
- Oversees and manages budgetary approval throughout the fiscal year, as well as cost center allocations, payroll reallocations, and payroll suspense clearing for the university
- Assists departments with identifying and resolving budgetary issues; ensures that finance and human resources processes are completed for month-end and year-end close
- Prepares ad-hoc reports for executive decision making
- Represents the university on budget-related topics within the UH system and at state and national conferences
- Oversees and participates in problem-solving, troubleshooting, and testing on PeopleSoft on the general ledger (Finance), human resources (HRMS), and the budget development environment (Hyperion/Tableau)
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of budgeting and funding and related operating processes and accepted practices as they pertain to higher education
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficiency in using computer software, particularly MS Excel
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and organize
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in response to changing needs and events
- Ability to manage people and to use independent judgement
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Manages department or section operations consistent with department/section goals and objectives.
- Administers the department/section budget ensuring effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment through motivation, encouragement, and mentorship of staff.
- Ensures department/section compliance with university and department policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Keeps management apprised of department/section activities and issues requiring senior management input.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.