Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3536
Title: Manager, ABTC
Department: Applied Business & Technology
Essential Personnel: N/A
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Program Administration
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Job Grade: 13
Grade Min: $47,731
Grade Mid: $57,277
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Manager, Applied Business Technology oversees the office operations of the Applied Business and Technology Center, and supervises office staff and student workers.
- Maintains the continuing education computer labs and makes hardware and software recommendations while coordinating with other departments throughout the university to develop continuing education programs
- Prepares payroll paperwork and financial documents for instructors and office staff, including new vendor setup initiation, vouchers, requisitions, and payroll
- Provides ongoing training and supervision to new and current employees; trains new student workers in the office; familiarizes new teachers with the university's continuing education courses
- Maintains the database of all continuing education students, including maintaining student records, making modifications to accounts, and uploading any backup documentation required
- Consults with and registers clients for a wide variety of training courses, discussing course material and future job applications with prospective students as required, and handling account registration and payment for students
- Leads, manages, and prepares the CompuCamp team; prepares marketing materials and attends events to promote the summer camp
- Installs and maintains software and hardware for training in the classroom; prepares the computers required during CompuCamp at all locations
- Manages testing center operations, including the executions of exams; installs and updates the testing server and client machines; troubleshoot problems during an exam
- Provides instruction in basic courses related to computers; substitutes for any teacher during the CompuCamp event as necessary
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Supervises student workers and/or temporary employees
Delegation of Work:
- May assign work to subordinate(s)
- Trains and counsels subordinate(s). Provides recommendations to a supervisor on hiring new employees, coaching and counseling, training, and granting time off.
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the higher education environment;
- Knowledge of continuing education programs, and the related trends, issues, and accepted practices
- Strong technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office and Photoshop;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills;
- strong training skills
- Ability to maintain a database;
- Ability to use new computer software;
- Ability to supervise and train subordinates;
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Communicates clearly, concisely, and with courtesy.
- Carefully listens to customer or thoroughly reads correspondence, and uses good judgment to respond appropriately. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Communicates requests for further action or resources to appropriate individuals with tact.
- Demonstrates the ability to orally convey subject or message clearly and concisely to the intended audience.
- Generates interest and enthusiasm in the subject or message from the participants.
- Responds to participants' reactions or comments, and adjusts delivery style and/or format of presentation as needed.
- Possesses a thorough understanding of the subject or topic to provide practical responses to questions or issues.
- Displays applicable visuals and provides appropriate written materials to support the presentation.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills with multiple hardware and software systems.
- Effectively applies expertise to identify and troubleshoot user issues.
- Competent to install and configure new systems.
- Willing to share expertise and provide technical support to others.
- Demonstrates the ability to advise and assist university students and/or prospective students with academic plans and course selection, financial options, career plans, and/or student opportunities.
- Shares relevant knowledge and insight to apprise students of the university's programs and services.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Listens and responds to student requests and concerns with patience and understanding.
- Treats students with respect.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.