Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2551
Title: MEP Renovations and Elevator/Fire and Life Safety Manager
Department: Facilities Management
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Facilities Management
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 15
Grade Min: $58,809
Grade Mid: $70,571
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The MEP Renovations and Elevator/Fire and Life Safety Manager manages the daily operations of the university's contracted mechanical, electrical, plumbing, elevator, fire, and life safety system contractors, as well as the in-house electrical labor group and all electrical infrastructure on campus.
- Manages the in-house electrical shop, ensuring that the electrical systems and infrastructure are maintained
- Responds to work orders; performs all necessary electrical troubleshooting and repairs
- Manages contracted ME services to supplement the electrical, elevator, mechanical, and fire and life safety systems as required to complete campus wide renovations and repairs
- Manages and liaises with all ME, elevator, fire alarm, and fire suppression safety systems consultants as necessary
- Initiates purchase requisitions; develops bid packages; determines bid results; makes bid selections
- Assists campus wide managers and staff as required with projects requiring electrical or mechanical system modifications; consults as needed to assist with and complete small modification projects campus wide
- Assists with HVAC, building automation, and central plant repairs and operations as needed
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's degree or may substitute years of experience in lieu of degree
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience is preferred Electrical Maintenance License State of Texas is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of mechanical, elevator, and electrical system parameters, codes, standards, variables, and operations, and the related trends, issues, and accepted practices;
- Advanced knowledge of interrelationships between mechanical, elevator and electrical systems
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office and AutoCAD;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Excellent decision-making skills
- Ability to use technology to create work order requests and budget templates;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment (4-6 hours) and outdoor areas (2-4 hours).
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements. Work involves occasional exposure to elements, such as adverse weather conditions, extreme temperatures, dirt, and dust
- Position requires maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting, standing, or walking for prolonged periods of time, as well as for bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling, jumping, climbing, and frequent reaching
- May be required to work in a confined space, in a high, dangerous place, or be exposed to vibration
- May occasionally be exposed to hazardous driving conditions and work near moving mechanical parts
- May, on rare occasions be exposed to potentially hazardous or cancer-causing agents or chemicals
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination, good spatial awareness, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 100lbs
- May be required to drive or operate a university vehicle
- Position is on call 24 hours a day for electrical incidents
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Manages department or section operations consistent with department/section goals and objectives.
- Administers the department/section budget ensuring effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment through motivation, encouragement, and mentorship of staff.
- Ensures department/section compliance with university and department policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Keeps management apprised of department/section activities and issues requiring senior management input.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.