Basic Position Information
Job Code: 6057
Title: Journeyman, Plumber
Department: Facilities Management
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Facilities Management
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 13
Grade Min: $47,731
Grade Mid: $57,277
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Journeyman, Plumber performs maintenance repairs, renovations and fabrications of drain, water, vent, natural gas piping systems, and overall plumbing appurtenances.
- Maintains, repairs, modifies, and fabricates all drains, water, vents, and all associated equipment and plumbing fixtures
- Maintains, repairs, modifies, and fabricates delivery systems to include pumps, piping, tank, toilets, and urinals, and associated support equipment
- Maintains, repairs, modifies, and fabricates natural gas piping from meter up to end device
- Maintains, repairs, modifies, and fabricates drain/sewage from device to tie for the city and county
- Maintains, repairs, modifies, and fabricates irrigation systems from the outlet of the water meter to the inlet of the irrigation control valve
- Maintains and repairs PRV valves and appurtenances for tank level controls
- Supervises the Plumber Apprentice
- Pulls permits as required
- Drives university vehicles to sights for scheduled work
- Is on call 24 hours a day for all plumbing related incidents
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Full-time or Part-time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- May train and counsel subordinate(s). May provide feedback to a supervisor regarding other employees' performance but does not make hiring and dismissal recommendations.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
- Active State of Texas Journeyman Plumbing License
- Associate's degree preferred
- 10 years or more years experience in commercial
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the commonly used tools in the plumbing trade
- Basic computer skills;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Completed formal apprenticeship training and time required to obtain a "State of Texas Journeyman Plumbing License", Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners
- Ability to identify measures or indicators of system performance and the actions required for improvement or to make repairs;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Work is performed in an inside and outside environment
- Requires maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting, standing, or walking for prolonged periods of time, as well as for bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling, jumping and climbing. Must have precise hand-eye coordination, good spatial awareness, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Individual has moderate exposure to physical risks, including exposure to vibration, hazardous traffic conditions, a risk of electric shock, fumes, airborne particles, or oil
- May work in a confined space, in high dangerous places, near moving mechanical parts, in inclement weather conditions, or in extreme temperatures
- May have frequent exposure to potentially hazardous bodily fluids, and occasional exposure to potentially hazardous or cancer-causing agents or chemicals
- May be required to carry, push, pull, drag, or hold medium to heavy weight objects of up to 100lbs
- Works overtime regularly
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Communicates clearly, concisely, and with courtesy.
- Carefully listens to customer or thoroughly reads correspondence, and uses good judgment to respond appropriately. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Communicates requests for further action or resources to appropriate individuals with tact.
- Demonstrates the essential skills required to use equipment and tools needed to perform job duties and responsibilities.
- Follows maintenance and operation procedures and safety rules to minimize equipment malfunctions and prevent personal injuries.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.