Basic Position Information
Job Code: 6056
Title: Journeyman, Electrician
Department: Facilities Management
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Facilities Management
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 13
Grade Min: $47,731
Grade Mid: $57,277
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Electrician, Journeyman maintains and supports all of UHD's electrical systems and equipment.
- Checks the work orders daily
- Meets with supervisor to determine daily priorities
- Gets materials and tools required to complete work orders or tasks
- Performs allocated tasks, diagnoses and corrects any issues that arise
- Escorts sub-contractors as required; oversees their scope of work
- Ensures that repaired equipment is operating correctly before leaving a task
- Cleans areas after task completion; returns tools
- Conducts routine inspection of all UHD premises and equipment
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Completion of a four (4) year Electrician Apprenticeship program
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
- Must be able to obtain State of Texas class "C" vehicle operator's license within 30 days of employment
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of up-to-date electrical wiring procedures, and of the related trends, issues, and accepted practices
- Knowledge of the Electrical Code; knowledge of standard safety procedures
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to use commonly used tools; ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an inside and outdoor environment
- Employee will be exposed to normal hazards of construction and demolition. Work involves some exposure to elements, such as adverse weather conditions, extreme temperatures, oils, dirt, dust, fumes, and airborne particles
- Position requires maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting, standing, or walking for prolonged periods of time, as well as for bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling, jumping, climbing, and frequent reaching May be exposed to moving mechanical parts, potentially hazardous or cancer-causing agents or chemicals, and the risk of electric shock
- May, on rare occasions, be required to work in a confined space or in a high, dangerous place. May be exposed to loud noise. May, on rare occasions, be required to wear a respirator
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 75lbs. Must have the ability to climb stairs and a ladder and maintain balance
- May occasionally be required to drive or operate university vehicles
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Communicates clearly, concisely, and with courtesy.
- Carefully listens to customer or thoroughly reads correspondence, and uses good judgment to respond appropriately. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Communicates requests for further action or resources to appropriate individuals with tact.
- Demonstrates the essential skills required to use equipment and tools needed to perform job duties and responsibilities.
- Follows maintenance and operation procedures and safety rules to minimize equipment malfunctions and prevent personal injuries.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.