Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2262
Title: Joint Advisor
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Academic Advising
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 12
Grade Min: $43,001
Grade Mid: $51,601
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Joint Advisor provides general advice to prospective students regarding pathways to transfer to the University.
- Assists with recruiting students to the university, showcasing the benefits of attending the University
- Assists transfer students with the enrollment process by providing information regarding academic programs, the transferability of coursework, career possibilities, and the admissions process
- Serves as an advocate for transfer students in the event that any issues arise
- Reviews transcripts for prospective students
- Maintains continuous communication with prospective and current students as necessary, via email, telephone, and in-person consultations
- Plans and attends events for transfer students and community colleges to showcase UHD and the benefits of attending
- Participates in student orientation
- Assists with advising students regarding their educational plans
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the college admissions process, and the related trends, issues, and accepted practices;
- Understanding of the transfer student population
- Good presentation skills;
- Strong technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office and PeopleSoft; strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to read and understand degree plans; ability to use databases;
- Ability to be flexible;
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 25lbs
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates the ability to advise and assist university students and/or prospective students with academic plans and course selection, financial options, career plans, and/or student opportunities.
- Shares relevant knowledge and insight to apprise students of the university's programs and services.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Listens and responds to student requests and concerns with patience and understanding.
- Treats students with respect.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.