Basic Position Information
Job Code: 6199
Title: HVAC Mechanic I
Department: Facilities Management
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Facilities Management
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 11
Grade Min: $39,923
Grade Mid: $46,910
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The HVAC Mechanic I maintains and operates air conditioning equipment throughout the University buildings.
- Maintains and operates air conditioning equipment throughout the university buildings
- Upkeeps and monitors Liebert units for data centers
- Answers calls regarding equipment malfunctions, troubleshoots, and performs repairs
- Creates schedules for HVAC needs in offices and classrooms and at events
- Supervises contractors as required
- Orders stock; updates inventories; performs any necessary administrative work
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of one (1) year of related job experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license. HVAC License is required within one (1) year of position employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of Automation Logic Control software;
- Basic electrical knowledge.
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office and PeopleSoft; strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to create schedules in Automation Logic Control software;
- Ability to adapt to frequent changes of tasks;
- Ability to work in a team;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in some or all of the following areas: technology server room, computer laboratory, science laboratory, classroom, training room, auditorium, outdoor areas, gymnasium or other physical training rooms, kitchen, dining areas, cafeteria, machine shop, carpentry shop, and attics. May include working in tunnels and/or tight spaces.
- Employee will be exposed to normal hazards of construction, demolition, and facilities operations. Work involves some exposure to elements, such as adverse weather conditions, extreme temperatures, oils, dirt, dust, fumes, and airborne particles
- Position requires maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting, standing, or walking for prolonged periods of time, as well as for bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling, jumping, climbing, and frequent reaching
- May be exposed to moving mechanical parts, potentially hazardous or cancer-causing agents or chemicals, or the risk of electric shock
- May be required to work in confined spaces or a high, dangerous place
- May be exposed to vibration or the loud noise of chillers, boiler equipment, and water pumps
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination, good spatial awareness, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 100lbs
- Will be required to be on call 24 hours a day for HVAC related incidents
- May drive the university vehicle
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates the essential skills required to use equipment and tools needed to perform job duties and responsibilities.
- Follows maintenance and operation procedures and safety rules to minimize equipment malfunctions and prevent personal injuries.
- Communicates clearly, concisely, and with courtesy.
- Carefully listens to customer or thoroughly reads correspondence, and uses good judgment to respond appropriately. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Communicates requests for further action or resources to appropriate individuals with tact.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.