Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2381
Title: Financial Analyst
Department: Administration & Finance
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Financial Services
Job Sub-Family: Accounting, Budget & Finance
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Financial Analyst forecasts revenues, develops and maintains allocations against the university's annual operating budget, and produces ad hoc financial reports. The Financial Analyst oversees the university's capital budget and evaluates proposed changes to the university tuition and fee structure, as well as the financial viability of new degree programs.
- Forecasts revenues, evaluates and proposes changes to the university tuition and fee structure; evaluates and makes any necessary adjustments to the university tuition and fee revenue budgets.
- Oversees the university's capital budgets, assisting leadership to identify and make recommendations regarding fund sources.
- Develops and maintains allocations against the university's annual operating budget.
- Assists with the preparation and submission of the annual master plan and any other required state reports including the Legislative Appropriations Request
- Produces ad hoc reports as required.
- Coordinates with the UH Foundation in relation to the reimbursement process for endowed scholarships that are managed by the Foundation, making recommendations as appropriate.
- Assists Academic Affairs to evaluate the viability of new degree programs and to seek Board approval.
- Performs all other duties assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the accounting, finance, budgeting, and funding processes in a university environment.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and time management skills.
- Ability to understand financial information, and to collect and analyze relevant data to prepare a wide variety of ad hoc reports.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
Research and Analysis
- Applies knowledge and skills to collect and analyze relevant data and information.
- Assesses benefits and risks, and prepares comprehensive reports of findings.
- Submits recommendations for management's review and evaluation.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.