Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2149
Title: Financial Analyst Special Projects
Department: Business Affairs
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Financial Services
Job Sub-Family: Accounting, Budget & Finance
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 17
Grade Min: $72,265
Grade Mid: $88,524
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Financial Analyst Special Projects researches and compiles data for Annual Financial Report (AFR), the LAR (Legislative Appropriations Request), UHD/UHS/state reporting and special projects including: audits, system upgrades and implementations, etc. The Financial Analyst Special Projects maintains the university property records and prepares reports.
- Prepares and coordinates regular and additional reports for UHS, UHD management, the state, and federal government utilizing queries, data warehouse, Hyperion data, Tableau, advanced Excel functions, and others concerning audits, HUBs, senator requests, special circumstances: hurricane, pandemic, etc.
- Prepares for financial month-end and year-end close. Researches and compiles data for annual financial reports (AFR), the LAR (Legislative Appropriations Request), and various annual or one time reports required by the state legislature, THECB, and other agencies
- Prepares and coordinates with Administration & Finance and UHS staff to assist with system updates and implementation including PS Finance, Hyperion, Phire, p-card system, and data files. Includes organizing testing, development of training documentation and training UHD departments. This includes additional workflow paths and sources
- Ensures all property acquired is classified, coded and entered into the asset management system so that the inventory and other processes such as depreciations calculation can operate
- Coordinates the processes in various financial systems to ensure they produce correct financial reports
- Keeps abreast of implements, trains and enforces all aspects of property management laws, regulations, policies and procedures. Performs monthly inventory verification audits on all UHD departments and reports results to compliance committees
- Approves journal entries. releases USAS batches. Conducts trainings and meetings with departments as required to discuss issues and for continuous improvement
- Preforms all other duties assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field
- Minimum of three (3) years of job related experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of accounting, finance, budgeting, funding and related operating processes in a university environment
- Excellent organizational, analytical, problem solving and time management skills
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficiency in using computer software, particularly MS Excel
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and organize
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in response to changing needs and events
- Ability to manage people and to use independent judgement
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Manages assigned financial resources in compliance with federal, State, and university policies and procedures.
- Monitors expenditures to ensure they are authorized and within approved budget.
- Reports accurate and reliable data of financial transactions and resources.
- Promptly notifies management of budget issues and/or discrepancies.
Research and Analysis
- Applies knowledge and skills to collect and analyze relevant data and information.
- Assesses benefits and risks, and prepares comprehensive reports of findings.
- Submits recommendations for management's review and evaluation.
Building External Relationships
- Demonstrates the ability to build rapport and develop relationships with external constituents.
- Displays a genuine interest in constituents' ideas and concerns, and pursues mutual interests and aspirations between the university and external constituents.
- Builds trust and forms alliances through shared respect and cooperation.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.